Sunday, September 24, 2006

No eggs, but still a scramble!

12 new recipes were made this week - the favorites had to be the Ice Cream Birthday Cake, Spicy Red Lentil Soup and the Golden Cinnamon Crunch Cookies. I did update both recipe sections to the left so they are current once again - you may need to hit refresh to see the new additions. There are a lot of recipes in there now, so one of these days I need to re-organize them and add some new categories!

Tonight's dinner, Mexican Polenta Scramble, called for already prepared polenta - normally found in a tube. While I don't have anything against the chubs, I just like the flavor better when you make the polenta yourself. I use a ratio of 4 cups boiling water to 1 cup coarse-ground cornmeal and it usually takes around 30-35 minutes to be done to our liking - it should easily pull away from the sides when you stir. I placed it in a loaf pan to firm up in the refrigerator as it needed to be cut into cubes. It does take some pre-planning, but it is much cheaper and you can make as much or little as needed. I just weighed out 16 ounces from the loaf as the recipe called for - 1 cup dry cornmeal made about 21 ounces of prepared polenta for me.

I roasted the poblanos before I used them to add a depth of flavor to the dish - we didn't find 4 peppers to be overpowering as they are really pretty mild to us - if you can't locate them, use a couple bell peppers and throw in a jalapeno for good measure. The peppers, cherry tomatoes and smoky cumin are sauteed in some oil until the tomatoes soften. I cut the polenta into small cubes instead of crumbling them and once added, I let the dish cook until they were thoroughly heated through. Sharp cheddar, green onions, fresh cilantro and lime juice get stirred in right before serving to create a cheesy scramble packed with bright flavors. Crunchy toasted pepitas scatter the top for added texture. Toss some diced avocado on top if you have some, but I forgot to add it to list before we left for the market this morning.

2 comments:

  1. I really need to try to make polenta some night

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wheresmymind - It's pretty easy stuff!

    ReplyDelete