Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Being flexable with dinner plans allowed for a satisfying reward...

On the way home from doing some errands yesterday afternoon, I drove past a local farm that had a couple kids sitting behind a small card table practically overflowing with ears of freshly picked white sweet corn. I quickly did a u-turn and got in line to grab a few ears for us - while I had another recipe planned for dinner last night, once I got my hands on the corn, I made a bee-line for my ever-growing recipe piles as I had just the recipe in mind.

The rest of the ingredients for this Fresh Corn Risotto used pantry staples for us, so I didn't even need to make a run to the market after changing plans. Simple fresh ingredients are the key that move this risotto into must make again category.

Fresh White Corn RisottoMade in typical risotto fashion, short-grain arborio rice is stirred and stirred with scoops of warm chicken stock to leach the rice's natural starchy quality out, resulting in an ultra-creamy dish. A little more than halfway through the cooking time, a couple ears worth of the fresh white corn kernels are stirred into the bubbling rice to gently cook until the rice achieves that toothsome al dente texture. A heaping mound of fresh grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese and a couple nobs of butter are the finishing touch, adding a mouthwatering salty richness along with pushing the creaminess of the dish one step further. Jeff, with a scowling look on his face, wanted to make sure I plugged his only comment - "Do not ever lose this recipe!".

Fresh White Corn Risotto

7 comments:

  1. Sounds lovely. Of course I'm such a sucker for eating it right of the cob that I never get to do anything else.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Joe,
    This sounds amazing for dinner tonight. But did you use chicken stock or chicken broth? You use both words in the recipe, and I wanted to get it right. Thanks!
    - Laura

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ruth - Me too, but I just couldn't pass this one up!

    Laura - I see what you mean, I corrected it as I used stock.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks really good - you have some great vegetarian recipes on your site!
    Hope the weather is calmer today.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That sounds amazingly good! I have always wnated to make fresh corn chowder, but I always end up eating it right off the cob! I sure do miss MD farm stands! I grew up in Gaithersburg!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love risotto,and your looks delicious.First visit, and I like so much

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nicisme - Thank you!

    Jenndz - Yes, those stands are great! Oh fresh corn chowder is so good, you must try it!

    Sylvia - Thank you!

    ReplyDelete