Monday, August 20, 2007

Muffins from the past...

So we are doing our best to get back into a "routine" around here, but it is not very easy when you are cooped up in a room rather than a house that one is used to! We looked at a lot of houses this weekend, we browsed though at least 20 or so... this is the fun part, but I'm not certain we have come across "the one" just yet. It's too bad we couldn't take a kitchen here and a backyard there from some of the ones we did like and mash them together... isn't it always like that though?

I did bake a few snacks for our driving trip from the east coast to Minneapolis - one of them happened to be Jeff's favorite muffin. I first made them back in November of 2005 and I've baked these Cran-Apple Muffins probably a dozen times since then. It also received bonus points for using up more of the cranberries we had stashed in the freezer! They made the trip unscathed (aside from a few of them being eaten!) and the rest went into the freezer here to enjoy for the next week.

Cran-Apple MuffinsI have a list of new recipes that we made before we left to get posted, but between looking at houses and trying to get reacquainted with the area, I'm not quite sure we will be busting out many (if any!) new recipes until things settle down. Hopefully things will move quickly on the house front and we can get back to our normal schedule - wouldn't that be nice?

One of those new recipes I made a few days before we left was this Broccoli-Cheddar Salad with Toasted Pepitas. One of the reasons I wanted to make this salad was I could make it ahead of time and stash it in the refrigerator until the next day when we would have it. I gave it a taste after I tossed the ingredients together and it tasted good, but it was much better the next afternoon once the flavors had time to develop. Coating the crunchy broccoli is a generous creamy dressing made from mayonnaise mixed with plain yogurt to lighten it up - apple cider vinegar and a dash of sugar are also added for a sweet tang. To add a bit of color and texture to the salad, shredded carrots and finely diced red onions are tossed in with a good dose of Cheddar for a sharp bite. Right before serving, a handful of toasted pepitas add another crunchy dimension to this satisfying fresh salad. I've actually made this salad again since we've been out here - it is dead easy to toss together and takes just a couple minutes to get in the refrigerator the night before.

Broccoli-Cheddar Salad with Toasted Pepitas

12 comments:

  1. It is so nice to see you blogging again.I can understand that you cannot do it every day. Does Jeff have to start working already, or are you househunting together?The Outrageous Oreo Brownies where a big hit at my house yesterday. Take care and best of luck for finding the right house. Rita

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wishing you the best with the new house. I hope it has a huge kitchen so you can create such wonderful recipes. The muffins are truly yummy looking!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You muffins look wonderful! I must try these when cranberries are back in season.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for blogging again. I know how you feel. It's not easy to look at houses, but fun, as you said. I'm still unpacking, here in BC, but take the time to look at your blog everyday. That keeps me going. Thanks for the muffin recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am sure you will come across "the one" soon! I am sorry about our rainy weather over the weekend--houses always look better in the sun!

    Courtney

    ReplyDelete
  6. Like Meeta, I wishing you the best with the house-hunting. Like you said, often it is the case of wishing to take one thing from here and another from there and putting them together but nevermind, the one will come along when you least expect it. I know, I know, you want it to be now :)

    The cran-apple muffins, such a beautiful pic. Hugs to you and Jeff.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Rita - It depend on the day really! Glad to hear the brownies were a hit... they are so darn good!

    Meeta - Thank you so much for the well wishes!

    Sarah - Please do - these are definitely a favorite!

    Helene - Let me know if you try it out - how is settling down going for you?

    Courtney - We hope so! I'd love to see some sun too... it has been non-stop rain!

    Cynthia - Isn't that the truth - hopefully it will be really soon!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hope all goes well with finding a house. I completely understand about being able to pick different rooms of houses and wishing to combine them!

    I like the tower of muffins, with the apple tower behind it. Great photo!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good luck in finding the perfect place soon :)

    Both your recipes are really seasonal just now, and delicious too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Christina - Thank you!

    Kelly-Jane - I can't wait for cranberries to come in season again so we can stock up the freezer!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Joe! I lived in Minneapolis before moving to St. Louis four years ago.

    It's a great, great place to live -- but I'm sure you're becoming well aware of that.

    There are great foodie destinations for you, The Wedge Co-op in particular is sadly missed by me. Get in touch and I'll list more of my favorites.

    Good luck househunting, too. It's always fun and stressful, but then you'll be home.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Karen - I replied via e-mail!

    ReplyDelete