Sunday, November 11, 2007

Healthy stir-fry filled with oodles of noodles, chicken and veggies....

We pushed through 10 new recipes this week - the highlights for us were the Coconut Banana Bread with Lime Glaze, Rolled Chicken Breasts Stuffed with Prosciutto and Barley and the Chocolate Cherry Blossoms. Realizing that Thanksgiving is coming up much faster that I would like (next week!) and that Christmas is not far behind, we are putting the finishing touches on our end of the year gift-baking spree lists. It's tough to fit in new recipes as we get requests to make the same things each year, but we will of course add new ones to each box we send this year! Care to guess how many pounds of butter we will go through this year? I'm scared to even begin to think!

I could have sworn that I had some udon noodles in the pantry to make this Chicken, Edamame and Noodle Stir-Fry for dinner tonight, however when I went to grab them I came up empty! Hello - we even went to the market today... oh well, I hate when that happens! Thin linguine would probably have been a better substitute, but I just had some fettuccine on hand so we used that instead.

Chicken, Edamame and Noodle Stir-FryThis dish comes together in under 30 minutes, so it is good to have everything prepped and ready to go when you begin. While you wait for the noodles to cook, thinly sliced chicken breast is dusted with cornstarch and seasoned with salt and pepper. The chicken is sautéed in canola oil until the outside turns golden and the chicken is cooked through. Once done, the chicken is removed and thinly sliced red onions and a couple garlic cloves are softened in the same skillet. Thin shreds of mild and slightly sweet napa cabbage are then added to quickly soften and add some bulk to the dish. A couple handfuls of edamame, followed by splashs of rice vinegar and soy sauce, are then added to the vegetables. The delicately golden-coated chicken and noodles are tossed in to let everything warm through and complete this meal. Light, yet still quite filling with plenty of textures and flavors bouncing around, this speedy one-bowl dinner was a nice way to wind down and relax on this unusually warm Sunday evening.

Chicken, Edamame and Noodle Stir-Fry

6 comments:

  1. Oh, boy. This looks really yummy as well and will go on the menu soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate it when I plan something based on what I "know" I have in the pantry, but my memory is faulty. The substitute noodles look like they worked just fine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Robyn - Thanks!

    Cookie Baker - We liked the thicker noodle here, but I can see why it originally called for the Udon noodles.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Would you mind terribly if I slurped my noodles at the table? :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow... this looks *amazing* I'm excited to try it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cynthia - I suppose, if you must!

    Tanya - Thanks!

    ReplyDelete