Thursday, December 27, 2007

May have promise, but won't be a repeat...

I'm not sure what to say about tonight's dinner. It's not that the Thai Chicken Chowder we made was awful or anything... however, it was just ok. The flavor combination either seemed off to us or it was missing something that would bring it together.

I pretty much made the recipe as written, except I left out the celery (it called for a chopped cup) as it just didn't seem to go with the rest of the ingredients. This could have certainly been a wrong move, but I don't really think it would have helped much. I also did not care for how well done the snow peas ended up - a little to soft for both of our tastes. That being said, I do think that this chowder had a couple things going for it. We liked the chunky cubes of sweet potatoes - they added a hearty element, along with chopped cooked chicken, to make this lighter dish a bit more filling. We also enjoyed the flavors from the fresh lemon grass, ginger and lime juice. The heat from the teaspoon of chili garlic sauce was pleasant as it was slightly toned down by the cool coconut milk. While it has promise, I'm not sure what I would do differently so that we would have liked it better - so, unfortunately I doubt I would make this again for us.

Thai Chicken Chowder

3 comments:

  1. Such is life in the kitchen...you win some and you lose some. At least the picture is pretty. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joe,
    It actually is nice to know that (like the rest of us) not everything you cook is a "wow!" It sure does look good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mindy - Yeah, if it only would have tasted as good as it looked!

    Tracy - hee hee - we have been pretty lucky at picking solid recipes, but every now and then a dud shows up!

    ReplyDelete