Friday, January 25, 2008

Blueberry Buckwheat Pancakes... for dinner!

We haven't done breakfast-for-dinner in awhile, so for tonight's meal, we each had a few of these Blueberry Buckwheat Pancakes. I enjoy making pancakes or waffles as one can usually scale the recipe up or down without much problem - I like to make a batch and a half sometimes to freeze the leftovers for those mornings Jeff needs a speedy breakfast before work (someone likes to hit that devilish snooze button).

These pancakes gain a darker speckled appearance with a more pronounced flavor than most because of their even ratio of buckwheat to whole-wheat pastry flour. With a good cup of buttermilk, these pancakes were light and had a slight tang to them, but I found the batter to be a little runny. I let the batter sit for about 10 minutes to see if the flour would soak up a little more of the liquid - it didn't seem to change much and the first few pancakes were fairly thin. Don't get me wrong, thin pancakes are just as tasty, but I like seeing some heft to them. By the time I got to the last couple of scoops of batter though, it was a little better and they came out a bit thicker.

I used tiny frozen wild blueberries and since the batter looked thin, I decided to just sprinkle them on the pancake once they began to cook. I've learned that they tend to bunch up in the center if the batter is on the thin side. The pancakes are just slightly sweet with only a tablespoon of honey in the batter, which would make them a perfect vehicle for a dusting of snowy confectioners' sugar and a rush of warm pure maple syrup (even better if you spike the syrup with a few blueberries before you warm it!).


12 comments:

  1. These look great -- I have a local restaurant that serves the best buckwheat pancakes and get them every time I go. Hmmm, I haven't had them with blueberries and that sounds like a nice addition. I guess I'll have to whip some up -- thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea. I'll have to make breakfast for dinner more often.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These sound lovely ... I'm going to make them this week

    Thanks
    Joanna

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't think I've ever had buckwheat pancakes. These sound really good though! And I love having breakfast for dinner. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have an award over at my blog...the post will be up in about half an hour...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Allen - I liked the blueberry addition... a nice way to freshen them up.

    Helene - Yes! It's a good way to change things up!

    Joanna - Hope you like them!

    Lori - buckwheat flour can be hard to find at times... if you want to make them, look in the bulk flour section of a natural food store!

    Thanks Sara! That was very kind of you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My mother LOVES buckwheat pancakes. I'll pass this recipe along to her!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lori - I hope she enjoys them!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Buckwheat pancakes are much more filling, and the flour is actually very nutritious besides tasty. Good going!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Buckwheat pancakes are more filling and don't cause that spike in your blood sugar like regular cakes. Also, besides bieng so tasty, buckwheaat is exceptionally nutritious too. Good going with blueberries! I love 'em !

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks Joe for another lovely recipe! I tried these and they cooked up beautifully-- fluffy and tender. The batter was fairly plain, so I added a few white chocolate chips with the blueberries to add a little more sweetness.

    -Cookie

    ReplyDelete
  12. Cookie - I'm glad you tried it! I'll have to try them with the white chocolate chips sometime.

    ReplyDelete