Saturday, February 16, 2008

Butterscotch Sundae, no spoons required!

Occasionally we make packages of treats to send out, just because, so the other day I made a batch of these Butterscotch Sundae Cookies to drop off at the post office.

I wanted a cookie that was going to be sturdy enough to make it in one piece and still taste decent after the trip through the mail. So, in came these decadent gems - imagine the flavors of a butterscotch sundae, only in cookie form with toasted salted nuts strewn throughout. As we were waiting on the rest of the butter to soften for the dough, I melted a few tablespoons worth and added a couple cups of coarsely chopped pecans. Once they began to turn a light golden and the aroma of toasted nuts crept up from the skillet, we tossed in a bit of salt and scooped the nuts into a bowl to cool down.

While the nuts cooled, we prepared the cookie dough - nothing too out of the ordinary here, we did use dark brown sugar for a bit more richness and added a few drops of rum extract. Along with the dry ingredients, we tossed in the cooled nuts and a generous cup of butterscotch chips. After testing a couple cookies in the oven to check for spreading, we found that the dough did not need to be chilled and continued scooping and baking the dough. The finished cookies were thick and slightly soft in the center, yet still mostly firm and fantastically crunchy! Toasting the pecans in melted butter extracted and intensified such a nutty depth while tossing them with the salt helped to cut through the overall sweetness. Thankfully, I got them wrapped up and dropped off before we "quality controlled" the whole batch!


6 comments:

  1. These look great. I need to send some cookies to Michigan but always worry about the sturdiness of the cookie. These look like something that will work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joe, may I PLEASE send you my address???
    ;)
    ps- Anzac biscuits are a nice mail-able cookie, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I may have to try these. For some reason, I loathed butterscotsch for years, but have really learned to love it, and even crave it lately. These look good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. those look yummy!

    I've been a long time lurker, and I finally decided to comment, because I tried your Whole Wheat Pizza dough. It was amazing! I made a double batch and the entire family made mini individuals and it was all gone!
    Thanks for the great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cathy - These are quite sturdy, but not dry or rock hard!

    KQV - We made Anzac biscuits not too long ago... they were so good!

    Michelle - Thanks!

    Theduckie - I'm so glad you are getting some use out of that recipe! It is dead easy and tastes great.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Who were the lucky winners of these cookies? Looks good. Send some my way, you know I have two hungry teenage sons to feed and often couple friends that don't seem to eat homemade treats at home.

    ReplyDelete