Saturday, July 12, 2008

A wicked Frozen Strawberry Daiquiri Pie...

The strawberry train is still chuggin' away! What's up next? This Frozen Strawberry Daiquiri Pie with Strawberry-Rum Sauce that we made a day or so after we picked the berries. Sadly, this ice cream pie is long gone now, but I can clearly remember each and every creamy bite.

To give the pie a substantial base, we made a homemade honey graham cracker crust to line our stoneware pie plate. This crust uses an egg white to help bind it together, rather than using a lot of butter - I liked how that egg white helped to form a little barrier and not let the crust get soggy from the ice cream. However, you could always just add a tablespoon or two of melted butter if you prefer not to use the white. Do note - this crust is baked, cooled and then frozen before the ice cream mixture is smeared on top.

The daiquiri part of this recipe comes in by swirling together softened vanilla bean ice cream with strawberry daiquiri concentrate! And yes, you won't be disappointed because a few splashes of white rum is also tossed into the mix. If you don't want to use alcohol for whatever reason, you could simply replace it by using white grape juice or even apple juice. You'll want to firm this back up slightly before putting it into the crust, so just set the bowl you mixed this in into the freezer while the crust is chilling out too.

Though this needs a bit of time to set back up (due to the added liquid and alcohol), I went ahead and prepared the sauce that is poured on top. Quartered strawberries, just a couple tablespoons of sugar to get their juices going and a shot of rum are all tossed together. After sitting for awhile, half of the berries and a sprinkling of fresh lime zest are placed in a food processor to create a smooth counterpoint when combined back with the remaining chunky berries. We covered this and let it stew in the refrigerator until the pie was ready.

While alcohol doesn't freeze hard, the ice cream mixture does still return to a fairly solid texture, yet the rum keeps it from getting too hard. You may want to place it in the refrigerator for about 15 minutes to soften slightly before trying to serve it. I did taste the ice cream part of the pie before adding any sauce and found it a little lacking in the strawberry flavor department, but once that jeweled sauce was poured on top, it came alive with that fresh sweet flavor I was after! While I didn't have much issue getting this out of the pie plate, I think I would have rather used a springform pan in the end just to ease the cutting process. As I was feasting on my slice, other ideas came to mind - how about replacing the daiquiri concentrate with margarita mix, swapping the rum for tequila and using salty pretzels in the crust?

5 comments:

  1. Oh my golly, that sounds awesome! I will definitely be giving it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joe - Nice! I can see how that fresh strawberry sauce "makes" the pie really pop. Hey, when are you going back to pick the dachsund puppies? =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Joe, I, too, am baking with strawberries these days...this pie looks divine! I found this recipe at AllRecipes about six weeks ago when a friend at work requested a strawberry cake with a cream cheese icing. I was at a loss as all the recipes I found used jello or cake mix, but I found this one and it was wonderful...the recipe as written does not use a cream cheese icing, but reviewers did amd mine was a hit. I used a 9x13 pan.
    http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Jesse-and-Steves-Fresh-Strawberry-Cake/Detail.aspx

    I have been meaning to post the recipe on the CL boards but have just been too busy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dee - Thanks!

    Ed - We'll, if Jeff had anything to say about it, tomorrow! The pups have a few more weeks to go though before they would be ready.

    Winnie - Thanks!

    Kann - Thanks! I'll go check it out!

    ReplyDelete