Saturday, September 13, 2008

Good enough to just lick off a spoon, but Nutella also works well in biscotti!

We wanted to send an edible gift in hopes of lifting the spirits of a friend who lost someone dear to them - earlier this week I made a batch of these Nutella Biscotti that Jeff and I thought would be sturdy enough to make it.

I found the recipe in my cookie pile of recipes to-try, but apparently forgot to mark down where it came from. After a little research, I finally figured out where I got it - Nic @ Baking Bites. I remembered reading about it on her site and don't know why it took me so long to try it out!

Nutella, a chocolate hazelnut spread that is dangerous to have around (especially with a lone spoon in reach), along with a couple tablespoons of slightly bitter natural cocoa powder give this biscotti dough a very dark color. I did use a bit of whole-wheat pastry flour, but as usual, you can use entirely all-purpose flour if you wanted. To add another dark layer of chocolate-y goodness (Jeff's words...), a handful of chopped bittersweet is also tossed in.

I found the mixture to be quite sticky and a little wet, which some biscotti dough is certainly known for, so keep your hands floured when worthing with it. Usually I would just keep my hands moist to keep it from sticking, but I thought the extra flour wouldn't hurt this dough. If you find floury spots on the dough when you transfer it onto the baking sheets, do be sure to brush any excess off before you bake them.

After cooling a bit from the first bake, lightly spritz the tops of the loaves with water - this will slightly soften the outer crust just enough to make slicing easier and make them not crumble as much. For the second bake, you'll want to let them go long enough to begin drying them out - the edges will crisp up, but the centers may still be a little soft after you take them out of the oven. As the dark slices cool on a baking rack, those centers will crisp up and become crunchy, yet not rock hard, leaving you with the option to dunk or not! If you really want to highlight the flavor from the Nutella, a handful (1/2 cup or so) of toasted, skinned and chopped hazelnuts would be a fantastic addition when you add in the chunks of bittersweet chocolate.

Recipes

8 comments:

  1. Nutella is pretty high on my list of the most amazing foods in the universe! I'm always looking for new recipes, though not much beats a jar of Nutella and a spoon. Yikes biscotti! I've never had nutella biscotti. I am making these! Without the bittersweet chocolate but with the hazelnuts cause that's what I have in the house....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Quinn - Yes... nutella + spoon is very dangerous! I hope you like the biscotti!

    ReplyDelete
  3. To minimize floury biscotti, try wetting your hands slightly with cool water when you work with very sticky dough. A wetted silicone spatula works well to smooth the surface of the logs of biscotti, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. K - I agree and I did mention that is the process I usually do with biscotti dough in the post. However, I found this to still be a bit too moist and the extra flour did not harm the biscotti at all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ohhh, I am going to make these biscotti this week! I have a jar of nutella and was looking for a recipe that would help me use most of it so I don't end up eating it straight with a spoon... (seems I am not the only one who loves nutella this way, huh?!!)
    Thanks Joe, the biscotti looks delicious!
    Ana

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ana - I wish I had made a double batch since we sent most of it off!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've found cocoa works really well in lieu of flour on the board when forming logs of chocolate based biscotti. I have used both natural and Dutch-processed and found they work equally well. No white spots to worry about and a little more chocolate flavor added.

    ReplyDelete