Friday, October 10, 2008

Peking Chicken Pizza...

I can't believe it is Friday again... this year is just flying by at record speed it seems! Being Friday already, that means it is pizza night here!

As usual, I started this Peking Chicken Pizza I made tonight by whirling together our favorite whole-wheat pizza dough in the trusty food processor. Once the yeast had enough time do bubble up the dough, we easily stretched it into a large rough circle - don't worry about it being perfectly round... just call it rustic! Along the edge of the dough, I laid a track of sesame seeds about 1" wide - while you could lace the edge with an egg wash or even melted butter first, I didn't find I needed any glue as they stuck pretty well. The recipe did call for using two to three tablespoons worth of the seeds - I found that two was even a bit much for just coating the edge, so I went ahead and sprinkled the remaining seeds all over the dough.

Instead of a tomato-y sauce, this pizza is covered in a combination of your favorite barbecue sauce and an ingredient I've never used... plum sauce! This sauce is sweet and somewhat sour - it is usually made from plums (surprise!), but can also include peaches or apricots. On top of the sauce, we arranged thin slices of cooked chicken breast that we first seasoned simply with salt and fresh ground black pepper. The recipe called for the chicken to be placed on top of the lavish layer cheese, but I didn't want to expose them directly to the heat and dry them out. So, instead, I just hid them underneath.

Back to that layer of cheese - we used Monterey Jack which brought a smooth and mild finish to the top of this pizza. For a bit of freshness, we finished this off by sprinkling a mixture of chopped sweet red and orange bell pepper, along with a few thin pieces of scallion. Since the raw sesame seed ring on the crust was mostly exposed, those tiny seeds were able to toast, intensifing their flavor, as they were exposed to the heat. I don't know what is was about the combination of barbecue and that tangy plum sauce, but the duo danced around on top of the crust and married to create a delicious burnished glaze that was the highlight of this casual pizza.


Recipes

8 comments:

  1. What a great pizza tonight. Ours was pepperoni, mushrooms, green peppers & olives. I love TGIF.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the idea of the sesame seeds!

    Quinn

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the idea of your Friday pizza night. I think I am going to adopt it. I have never made my own pizza dough, but I have seen enough of your reviews, that I am going to try it tomorrow (even if that won't be Friday).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Joe,
    I've been slacking with the comments lately, but your creations still amaze me! I would love to try your pizza dough....by any chance do you know the carb count?
    Thanks!
    Val

    ReplyDelete
  5. Helene - Hurray for pizza!

    Quinn - Thanks!

    Laura - I hope you got a chance to try your (Saturday) pizza!

    Val - for the entire 16 ounce recipe of the dough, there are roughly 188g of total carbs, per Mastercook.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Joe! I appreciate the info!
    Val

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just wanted to let you know that I made this pizza the other night and we absolutely loved it! I can't wait to make it again. I loved the mixture of BBQ sauce and Plum Sauce. Delicious! Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Teresa - Awesome! I appreciate the feedback.

    ReplyDelete