Thursday, December 18, 2008

Succotash...

I know we've slowed down a bit on posting dinners here, but I had been trying to keep it simple and quick (with a few repeats thrown in), so I could concentrate on getting the baking done for the holiday gift boxes. For example, I did make this new recipe for a side a couple nights ago, Herbed Corn and Edamame Succotash, but I just served it with grilled chicken and some fruit for dinner. Took just a few minutes and I was back in the kitchen makin' a mess with flour, butter and sugar!

Remember when I told you about that fresh sweet corn we stashed away in the freezer late in the summer? I snatched a couple cups worth out of the supply and added the kernels to a skillet full of softened red bell pepper, onion and garlic. A couple shots of dry white wine and shelled edamame (green soybeans) were also added and given enough time in the skillet, with a few flash flips of the wrist to jostle them around, until the vegetables were thoroughly heated through. Freshened up with rice vinegar, parsley and chopped fresh basil, this speedy side was ready for our forks!

While it is freezing cold with lots of snow on the ground outside (and more falling as we speak!), taking a bite from this was like reliving the warm breezes of summer at the dinner table. Which, sadly, didn't last long enough for me since some happy puppy needed a trip outside. While we had it with slices of grilled chicken on top, I also see us enjoying this with some snazzy barbecued shrimp - unlike last night's dinner, I do see this dish coming back to our plates at least a few times in the future!

Recipes

No comments:

Post a Comment