Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Chocolate Turtle Cheesecake...

I had to make sure I picked up a bunch of cream cheese this weekend while we were at the market - I needed four packs to make the weekly Wednesday Treat Day item! Where was all that going? Into this Chocolate Turtle Cheesecake!

Instead of using a round pan to cut the treats into wedges, this cheesecake is made in a big baking pan so we could get tidy squares out. To form the bottom crust, we crushed up a good amount of vanilla wafers and mixed the crumbles with chopped walnuts and enough melted butter to moisten. While turtle candies are usually made with pecans, I already had walnuts in the pantry and figured we might as well get them used up! To boost their presence, I did go ahead and toast them before tossing the nuts into the fury.

To mix in the caramel aspect, the recipe called for simply melting caramel cubes with a splash or two of milk to smooth them out. This is then poured over the base, which will create a cryptic layer of sweetness inside. As is, I think this would made one tasty bar cookie! However, this is a cheesecake after all, so I needed to get going on making the batter!

Nothing too unpredictable here - cream cheese, sugar, sour cream for tang and smoothness, along with a few eggs, a few dribbles from our bottle of vanilla and a lavish drizzle of melted bittersweet chocolate laced with espresso. I do have a few tips to make this batter smooth and dreamy - the cream cheese will beat up best if you let it soften at least a couple hours at room temperature before working with it. The eggs should also be taken out about 30 minutes before hand - if you forget, drop the whole eggs into a bowl of warm water for 15 minutes or so to take their chill off. You can beat the cream cheese and sugar well, but once you start adding the eggs, just mix them in until they have incorporated - you don't want to over-work it. The other reason you don't want to mix in together when the ingredients are chilled? When you add the melted chocolate in and if the batter is on the colder side, it may turn parts of the chocolate solid instead of staying fluid, which won't make for a smooth, cohesive chocolate batter!

After placing the batter over the top of the caramel, the whole shebang goes into the oven to bake until the edges are set, yet the center still has a bit of a jiggle to it. As it cools, the center will finish cooking through and even if it happens to be a touch underdone (better under than over), it needs to rest in the refrigerator for at least a few hours, which will help firm it up. Good enough, yes? Not so fast! Before you dive in, the top is scattered with additional toasted walnuts and a drizzle of additional chocolate to finish this off. With a luxuriously creamy texture, I added just enough of that instant espresso powder to highlight the softer notes in the chocolate, yet not so much that it developed into a coffee cheesecake. If you did want that flavor to be more pronounced, I wonder if a couple capfuls of Kahlua would satisfy? The wafer crust, studded with walnuts, held together well and tasted divine, however I would have loved for it to be more substantial - I think I would make one and a half times the amount next time.

25 comments:

  1. Is your sweetie's workplace hiring? Pretty please?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tomorrow it will be impossible to resist this delactable dessert Joe. Superbe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heaven. My goodness. I am so impressed. This cheesecake looks beyond delicious. That caramel layer is just teasing me right now. I cannot wait to try this! I happen to have a few bricks of cream cheese in my refrigerator!! Lucky me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your Treat Days!!

    My husband takes treats in to work quite often as well, and I love hearing what everyone thought about them.

    These look fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Something to die for! So beautifully made.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, Joe, really beautiful dessert!
    I love cheesecakes, and with chocolate, may be perfect!
    I´ll try your recipe soon! =D

    ReplyDelete
  7. How doyou get your pieces cut so perfectly?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Joe.
    I've never commented before, but I love your blog.
    I made this recipe for my husband to bring to work with him a few weeks ago. As usual, his workmates devoured it, leaving nothing but crumbs.
    I found that it is really important to let it firm up well before cutting because, thanks to the gooey caramel, the filling easily slides off the crust when warm.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my goodness this looks amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, this looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  11. SO impressed!!! This cake is in an elite class of it own! yum!

    ReplyDelete
  12. OMG, Joe, how many pounds did you guys gain by just looking at this decadent, delicious cheesecake... BIG GRIN... You can bet that I'm going to make it. Thanks.

    CONGRATULATIONS on reaching your goal for the Animal Humane Society's 35th annual 5 mile walk. I hope you go over your goal by at least $100.00.

    Come on everyone, just think what could be done if everyone who reads this excellent Blog gave just $5.00 each.

    - Rock

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my gawd! I don't even like cheesecake, but I am making this baby.

    ReplyDelete
  14. 4 packs huh? how long do I have to walk for to burn off a slice?
    who cares, looks amazing! crazy good!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Amazing! What a fabulous dessert!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Those are beautiful. I bet they're delicious, too.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is definetly a WOW dessert!! fantastic!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This looks incredible! I must make this :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks! They didn't stick around long in the "treat cube"! As for cutting, all I used was a sharp knife that I dipped (and wiped dry) in hot water.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow. This and today's posting of the sticky date and coconut cake are almost too much to resist.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Margaret - Give in, give in!

    ReplyDelete
  22. OH WOW! I saw your beautiful photo on foodgawker. That cheesecake looks and sounds amazing.

    ReplyDelete