Sunday, January 30, 2011

Corn-Tortilla and Egg Scramble...

Today was apparently my day of endless errands... I was in and out of the house most of the day trying to get all of the tasks crossed off my list. I knew it was going to busy today, but I didn't think it was going to be all day! With that, I had a feeling I wasn't going to be up to making any long or time intensive recipes for dinner. Thankfully, there are plenty of recipes that can be on the table in a snap - just like this Corn-Tortilla and Egg Scramble (aka hot mess on a plate) I went with tonight!

Using several corn tortillas, hand torn into bite-sized pieces, start us off by crisping them up in a generous, but not excessive, layer of canola oil. Use a large skillet for this, allowing you maximum room to spread the tortillas out as much as possible. Toss them about often, as much as needed for even color, and as soon as they become crisp, scoop them out onto a paper-towel lined plate to dry. Be sure to use a slotted spoon so the oil drips through, rather than sloshing it about as you move the bits out.

You won't need all of the oil left behind for the rest of the dish, but you will need some - about two to three teaspoon is enough. The rest of the oil does get discarded - you could try and use less so there is not as much waste, but the tortillas may not come out as well. Chopped onion, along with a diced poblano chile, cook in the reserved oil until they have both begun to soften their raw bite. Chunky cubes of tomato join the mix and as soon as its juices leech out and the flesh breaks down, the rest of the ingredients are added and you'll be eating in no time!

What we added was a combo of whole eggs and egg whites (you could use entirely whole eggs if you wish - eight would be the amount), the plethora of tortillas and a couple ounces of sharp white cheddar. It will only take a couple of minutes for the eggs to turn into luscious curds and the cheese to melt, binding everything together. I'm sure some will ask "But, won't all those tortillas turn soggy?". Yes, kind of - that's the point, to soften them. However, crisping them first not only adds flavor, but it allows them to not fall apart and turn to mush.

Feel free to drop a few spoonfuls of salsa over the top or a couple dollops of chipotle sour cream, but Jeff and I both decided to haul out the bottle of Frank's and dribble several drops of the zesty juice all over. While I'm definitely no expert on Mexican food, I'm going to guess this is Everyday Food's take on Migas - call it what you will, we're too busy making sure we have enough ingredients to make this again for breakfast this weekend!

7 comments:

  1. I have a wonderful friend that I met while we lived near Naco,AZ. She is from Mexico. One day we were in Mexico at the tortilla bakery and my question is what do I make with all these tortillas instead of wraps?? She suggested this recipe. At first I was skeptical but gave it a try. Hmmm, delicious!! I love it!
    Thanks for the memories, too. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is what we are having for dinner tonight! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ann - Thanks for sharing your memory!

    Jan - Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally know what you mean about errand days! I get home and I'm just beat. How can errands make one so tired?? You have the perfect answer to the quick dinner right here though!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. sounds interesting! def wil try this!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am from Texas and we call this plate "Migas" in this part of the country! Yum...a favorite to order for breakfast at any Mexican restaurant down here.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kim - Must be all that concentrating on getting from one place to another!

    NandN - Good to hear! Let us know.

    Danette - It did make a fine breakfast when we made it again!

    ReplyDelete