Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Spiced up banana hot cakes

As I mentioned before, I did get a chance to make some new recipes for lunch and breakfast before we left. Since Thursday morning was going to be my last chance (or so I thought anyway...) to make something, I went ahead with a new pancake recipe for breakfast.

Banana-Oatmeal Hot Cakes with Spiced Maple Syrup starts out by making a killer sticky and warm dressing for these pancakes. Maple syrup is spiked with a cinnamon stick and whole cloves, brought to a boil and then allowed to steep to soak in the spicy flavors. As the mixture cools, you can begin the tender cakes. Cooked oatmeal makes these bit more dense than other recipes, but the hearty texture made sure for a filling breakfast. Mashed ripe bananas brought a subtle sweetness and went well with the nutty flavor from the mixture of half whole wheat and all-purpose flour. I found the batter to be much thicker than normal, so I gently helped the mixture by spreading it out with the back of a spatula. Skip this step if you want extra-thick cakes.


11 comments:

  1. Those look super filling! Did you guys eat them all?

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a great way to start your day!

    Teddy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow... I'm impressed. On crazy days like - moving days, for example - we're lucky to get bagels and cream cheese from the local deli. Let alone fresh pancakes! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wheresmymind - Despite the fact they were tasty enough to, we wanted to have the leftovers for dinner and to have something the next morning!

    Teddy - I agree!

    Helios - Thanks! I guess I was just anxious and had to keep myself busy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Joe - What a great idea! Oatmeal in pancakes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am very fond of these, my aunt used to make them everytime we came over...oh the memories!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey- welcome to the neighborhood! I'm a pretty avid baker myself, so its good to have another resource in the area. If you need help finding anything, give me a buzz!

    P.S. You totally have to change the name!

    ReplyDelete
  8. oatmeal, banana, cinnamon...oh if it were a lovely autumn sunday morning, talk about heaven :) i'll have to save this recipe for when its cool enough to make pancakes, so healthy!
    hope your guys' move keeps going well!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I LOVE the idea of the spiced syrup on those. **making notes**

    ReplyDelete
  10. umm if you don't have a griddle can you use a normal frying pan??

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ed - I love the hearty texture the oatmeal added!

    Jenjen - Yeah, these rank right up there with us!

    Kelly - Thanks! I will take you up on needing to find things soon!

    Catesa - Let me know when you try them!

    EJ - Hee hee - yeah... but they were tasty enough to eat them all!

    Lexi - Sure, I don't see any problem with that!

    ReplyDelete