Thursday, July 20, 2006

Fennel - why didn't we try this sooner?

Dinner last night used another vegetable that we had yet to try. While we like licorice flavor, I would usually pass up recipes that used Fennel as I thought the flavor might be too strong for us. As we found out, this was certainly not the case!

Fennel and Grilled Pork Tenderloin Salad showed us that Fennel actually has a slightly sweet and pretty mild licorice taste with a satisfying crunch. The pork tenderlion for the salad is marinated in a mildly spicy orange-chipotle mixture made from fresh orange juice, fresh lime juice, chipotle in adobo, red wine vinegar and seasonings. A light, but generous amount of dressing has a subtle nutty flavor from the addition of walnut oil - you can use canola oil though if you don't have walnut handy. Toasted pepitas finished the dish with another dimension of crunchy texture. I also made one of our favorite biscuits to have along side, Asiago Black Pepper Biscuits. Next time, I might add another chipotle in the marinade to up the heat though.

Even though the salad recipe used only 6 cooked ounces of the meat, I knew I was going to need grilled pork tenderloin for another dish this week. I went ahead and used a full pound and kept the amount of marinade the same as there was plenty there to go around. I have the other cooked half in the refrigerator waiting to be used in a sandwich we'll talk about tomorrow!

14 comments:

  1. I have never tried fennel, either, Joe! Hmmm...I don't eat meat but you have reminded me that I do need to try fennel and soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't think I'd like Fennel because I don't care for licorice. But I was proved wrong with a dish also made with pork and fennel.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That salad looks good! Yum!

    Also, fennel and oranges is a classic combination, give it a try as a salad all by itself, with a rice-wine vinaigrette.

    If you think of it as a more flavorful celery and that will broaden your view of its use.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've only had fennel a few times, once in a salad and once cooked. I like it but I'm hesitant to buy it because I'm not sure what to do with it.
    This recipe sounds good though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fenel always makes me nervous...like a party guest that shows up and is super loud and obnoxious, ruining everyone's good time

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, fennel is the best thing ever! I have a ton of it out in the garden.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kann - Okay, give it a try already!

    Barbara - That sounds like a great combo to me!

    Joanna - This recipe had oranges, but I bet alone the combo would be a nice pre dinner salad.

    Annie - Keep searching for recipes that use it, I know I will be!

    wheresmymind - I guess it could go that way if you really dislike the anise/licorice taste.

    Steven - Lucky you to be growing it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. fennel is really cool, i use it pretty often but dried.......it works really well in a winter dessert drink i make booba

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lexi - What else do you use the dry form in?

    ReplyDelete
  11. joe: the way i cook is sort of hodge podge of things, so i tend to throw in what i have with anything that it seems like it could work with,mostly curries and stews though
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lexi - I know what you mean, but I'll have to remember it when stew season comes around!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I just found your blog, hence the date of this post! I HATE licorice, but I love fennel salads, with oranges (as in yours) but then add feta and some chopped oil-cured black olives. The combination of the sweet and savory is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Karen - Feta and olives huh? I will definitely have to remember that!

    ReplyDelete