Wednesday, December 21, 2005

Kickin' up the heat...

I think we've found a new biscuit recipe that ranks right up with our favorite Sour Cream and Cheddar Drop Biscuits. Asiago-Black Pepper Drop Biscuits carry a bite from the black pepper and a pleasant sharp flavor from the Asiago. Using buttermilk helps keep these biscuits tender and since there is no rolling involved it comes together in a snap. If you would like a more shapely biscuit, you could always bake them in muffin tins.

To go along with these, we had Chipotle Meat Loaf that is made with Turkey. Using ground turkey breast and lean ground turkey help to keep this extremely moist and tender, but without the greasiness that can sometimes occur when using ground beef. I ended up using about 2 1/2 chipotle chiles in adobo because if it is going to be spicy, we like it really hot. Cumin lends a slight smokey flavor and the addition of oats and breadcrumbs helps hold the loaf's shape. To give this a bit more spice, I added a chopped chipotle pepper into the tomato mixture that is spread on top halfway through baking. Meatloaf sandwiches for lunch tomorrow, anyone?


6 comments:

  1. The biscuits look great! And being a southern girl, I know a good biscuit when I see one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When you open a small can of chipotle chiles like I have it is hard to use them all. Recipes and our own heat receptors yield only 1 or 2 at a time. Since I have been wondering to do with my leftover chiles this recipe couldn't come at a better time. By the way,would you have any idea how long these chiles can stay refrigerated?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Biscuit Girl - Thanks!

    Sarah - I have found that they last quite awhile in an airtight container in the fridge, but I usually take a different approach. I line a baking sheet with parchment and chop up individual chiles with some of the adobo sauce and spoon each onto the sheet. I freeze until solid and place them into a ziploc bag so its easy to get 1 or 2 and thaw them to use. You could also put them in icecube trays.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll take a meatloaf sandwich on a biscuit please!

    Everything looks great, as usual:)!

    ReplyDelete
  5. OH man. Those biscuits look awesome. I'm going to try this weekend. YUMMM! I'm a sucker for biscuits.

    ReplyDelete
  6. tokyoastrogirl - That is what I did with the leftovers... so good!

    Mona - hope you get to give them a try!

    ReplyDelete