Thursday, December 22, 2005

Trying a new combination...

I mentioned before when we made the Apple Cinnamon Chip Granola Squares that I thought it would be good with different mix-ins. They were on my mind today so I thought I would try them again. I replaced a couple of the spices, the dried apple/cinnamon chips, and added dried pineapple/flaked coconut.

Pineapple-Coconut Granola Squares is something I was not sure would taste all that good in a granola bar, but we were quite suprised as we took our first bite. The two flavors, although subtle, lend a sweetness and chewy texture without overpowering each other. The bars are quite hearty, thick and are a filling snack.

I served Chicken Cordon Bleu with simple seasoned steamed carrots and the Asiago-Black Pepper Drop Biscuits from yesterday as dinner tonight. I pounded and rolled the chicken early this morning and let sit in the refrigerator as I find they hold together much better this way. I dipped/breaded right before placing in the oven. The chicken is stuffed with Prosciutto and Cheese, rolled up, dunked in a garlic/butter sauce, then dredged in seasoned breadcrumbs. Instead of using regular breadcrumbs, I like to use Panko breadcrumbs in dishes like this. I recently found that Trader Joe's started carrying them and I could not wait to try them out since I ran out of my other stash. Panko, also known as Japanese breadcrumbs, is more coarse and produces a crunchier texture I think for baked meats.


4 comments:

  1. Sounds so good! I just recently discovered panko myself. It is so much better than regular bread crumbs, love that crunch!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those look great - I always try to cut a pocket and stuff my cordon bleu and end up with a bit of a mess. I've been afraid of trying the oven (fearing lack of crispyness) but these look delicious. Perhaps the panko?

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a winning combination! Happy Holidays to you and yours! Thanks for such a wonderful and fun blog! I always enjoy stopping by here.

    Best,
    Paz

    ReplyDelete
  4. Michele - Yup we love that crunch too!

    Mebeth - Panko definitely adds to the crispness. Refrigerating before rolling in the crust really does help keep everything inside.

    Paz - Thanks! Happy Holidays to you too!

    ReplyDelete