Thursday, October 06, 2005

I'll take that healthy snack to go please...

Sometimes if I don't have enough time to make breakfast or when I need a snack that will actually fill me up for awhile I turned in the past to granola bars or fruit - as long as it was easy to eat on the go. I wanted to make something that would be healthy, filling, and could travel well if needed. I think I finally made the one we will stick with today. Apple Cinnamon Chip Granola Squares remind me of the Quaker square breakfast bars. When I put these in the oven I started thinking the possibilities of different dried fruit/chips and spices. They are slightly crunchy, very chewy, and packed full of whole-grain goodness.

Apple Cinnamon Chip Granola Squares

The meal for dinner this evening was picked out so I could use up the rest of the goat cheese I had leftover from making pizza the other night. Chicken Stuffed with Goat Cheese and Garlic was a delicious twist on chicken and pasta. Stuffing the chicken went a little quicker since I just butterflied rather than pounding it out. The extra garlic that you place in the sauce to simmer with the chicken really helps take away that "bottled" flavor you can sometimes taste when not making your own marinara. I thought the goat cheese might slowly seep out but as long as it is rolled up well enough with the ends tucked in nothing oozed out until it was cut!

Chicken Stuffed with Goat Cheese and Garlic
*Click on the photo to enlarge

12 comments:

  1. Joe, I love the looks of the chicken. Can't wait to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The bars look yummy! I was wondering what is the Lyle's golden syrup in the recipe? Hmm..what other spices/fruit were you thinking sounded good?

    ReplyDelete
  3. It all looks great. I am horrible at stuffing chicken, so I might have to try butterflying it next time, thanks for the idea.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been looking and looking for a good homemade granola bar recipe. THANK YOU!!

    Oh, and I'm making the potato and pepper goat cheese pizza tonight for some guests. Wish me luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The granola bars sound great, Joe. I have been wanting something oaty all week, too. It must be fate!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those sound so good. I think that would really do the trick for my breakfast too! Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hola from Panama! Your photos are beautiful...I bet everything is just delicious :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, the chicken with goat cheese sounds great, as do the granola squares. Do you get your cinnamon chips from KA or somewhere local? I've always thought they are difficult to find.

    ReplyDelete
  9. love goat cheese, love garlic, love chicken. the combo sounds like a match made in heaven :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks Ruth - Let me know if you get a chance to try it!

    Lex - it is a cane sugar syrup - very good stuff! I don't have anything specific pegged down for additional flavors yet but I've got some ideas floating around!

    Punky - I just find it easier that way!

    Amanda - Thanks! Hope your pizza turned out well!

    Thanks Nic!

    Michelle - I like that it made plenty to keep around for snacks - it is pretty tasty stuff!

    CookingDiva - Thank you!

    JJsooner - We find them at Safeway here.

    Catesa - we are slowly becoming fans of goat cheese!

    ReplyDelete