Tuesday, October 11, 2005

A little tease for tomorrow's treats...

As many of you know, Tuesday is the day I make some sort of treats for Jeff's co-workers to have on Wednesday. I did make it today, but you will have to wait until tomorrow to see what it is! I wanted it to be very fresh and still warm when he brings it in so they won't go into the oven until tomorrow morning. Until then, they are relaxin' in the nice cool fridge so they will not get too "excited". Stay tuned to see how they "develop".

I had two recipes planned for dinner tonight - I'm not sure I would normally pair these together but they both looked good and wanted to try them! Spinach Custard Pie along with Autumn Apple, Pear, and Cheddar Salad with Pecans were on tap.

The Spinach Pie was pretty interesting and had quite a lot of flavor. This has basic ingredients that combine into a great tasting dish. The sour cream brings a nice tang in the background while the spinach and eggs help hold its shape so that the pie cuts pretty clean. I used a smokey paprika from Penzeys to sprinkle on top before baking.

Spinach Custard Pie
*Click for a closer view

The salad tonight was the clear winner though. The combination of the light dressing (which I thought there could of been a little more of as it just barely coated everything) with the fresh, juicy, and crisp fruit balanced each other out so well. Toasting the pecans just adds to the great flavor and another angle of crunch to the dish. I used a microplane to do the cheese but next time I might just cube the it and add a little more as it seemed to just get lost in the salad.

Autumn Apple, Pear, and Cheddar Salad with Pecans
*Click for a closer view

9 comments:

  1. That salad looks and sounds great. I think I would also cube the cheese and add more. I love cubed cheese in a salad. I may make a trip to the Fromagerie to pick up some goood Irish cheddar and make this salad. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm...the spinach pie might be something I need to add to the lunch bunch menu soon. It sounds wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Actually, I think the combo sounds great. They certainly look wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum. That salad looks fabulous! I love your blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your salad looks awesome, I may try it myself some time!
    The spinach pie also looks great, I love spinach and was even planning on making some today.
    Can't wait to see what you made for tomorrow!
    Ana

    ReplyDelete
  6. It all looks great. I need a night where I am cooking just for myself so I can try that spinach pie (don't think funkbobito would go for that one). The salad looks fantastic as well. I love apples in salad.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The salad looks great. Joe, you should move to NYC and become a food photographer.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have to disagree with Anna about your moving to NYC. You need to move to Sacramento and become my personal chef. :)

    (Just kidding! I think Anna's suggestion is well founded!)

    Both the dishes look great and I would not hesitate to pair them. Another winner!
    Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  9. Erika - Thanks! I much prefer cubed cheese too!

    jj - I hope you get a chance to try it, but better than I thought it would be!

    Ruth - Thanks!

    Anonymous - Thanks for checking us out!

    Thanks Ana!

    Punky - Sorry Mr Funky doesnt care for spinach - maybe make some for yourself as a lunch item?

    Thanks Anna! That would be fun!

    Andrea - Hmm living in CA would be fine with me! Hee hee! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete