Wednesday, October 12, 2005

Great way to wake up in the morning....

As I was saying yesterday, I had made something that was waiting for me in the refrigerator to finish this morning. Old-Fashioned Cinnamon Rolls were slowly rising over night in the chilly air so I could bake them off early. I wanted them to be fresh and still warm from the oven when Jeff brought them in. After a quick 30 minutes of being in the warm air they started to begin their final rise and minutes after being in the oven the sweet cinnamon scent went throughout our house.

I very impatiently waited by the oven door so they didn't over bake. It was hard to resist the urge to open the door and peak in but at least I could cheat and see through the glass window with the oven light on. The buzzer went off, the glaze was mixed up and out they came to cool off slightly. I drizzled the sweet vanilla glaze and watched it slowly melt into the cracks and crevices of the very tender dough.

To keep them warm I wrapped each pan with tin foil and sent them on their way. I hope they were as good as they smelled!

Old-Fashioned Cinnamon Rolls
*Click for a closer view

And for anyone wondering I did hear back and they went over well!

On to dinner... We had Peppered Pork and Pears served with a Sweet-Potato Salad with Spicy Peanut Dressing. I really enjoyed the pork/bartlett pear combination. I used pears that were just still firm and not overly ripe. The quick sauce that goes along top went very well and gave just enough extra juice to swirl the pork in. The sweet-potato salad lived up to its name and was pretty darn spicy! While eating, I thought I could have handled a little more heat but thinking back it was just right. Some peanuts at the end helped add a little crunch and interest to the tender potatoes. The sauce had just enough peanut butter taste to bring the sweetness in the potatoes down and unlike some past recipes I think the sauce amount was pretty generous.

Peppered Pork and Pears with a Sweet-Potato Salad with Spicy Peanut Dressing

10 comments:

  1. Those cinnamon rolls look great. I may have to make a batch this weekend. Glad they went over so well. Your dinner sounds tasty as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now it's 10:15 here and thanks to your post, I'm hungry! :) Maybe I'll at least dream of cinnamon rolls.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It would have driven me absolutely mad to have that scent in the house, yet not get a taste!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those cinnamon rolls look freakin' delicious, Joe!! OMG!! It's 8 am here and I want one so bad with my coffee LOL ;-)
    Val

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, now I know what to make for breakfast on Saturday!

    Unless I can also put in an order for a dozen. ;-) Oh wait, make that 2.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The cinnamon rolls look great, and perfect right from the oven. The Husband would easily go through the entire pan himself.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Do update us on how the cinnamon rolls were, Joe. I usually put an egg or two in my dough, but if they were good without it, I'll omit it next time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can smell the cinnamon already...there's just nothing like the smell of cinnamon rolls in the oven! They look gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those look better than my stupid Zone Perfect bars. Hmmmph. ;).

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks Punky!

    JJ - If I could send you some I would of! I heard they were all gone pretty quick though!

    S'kat - I know the feeling.. tee hee!

    Thanks Val!

    Chloe - Thanks!

    Erika - Too bad they wouldnt ship well!

    Thanks Sweetnicks!

    Nic - They went over well from what I hear! I did use eggs though, 3 of them =)!

    Crystal - I agree! I was thinking of making more to freeze so we could have some around the house.

    Anna - I'm sure you could always try to imagine it is a cinnamon roll while eating... Err Nevermind - tried it before and it just does not work that way! hehe

    ReplyDelete