Saturday, October 22, 2005

Why have we waited so long?

Everytime we pass a bakery shop, we keep seeing scones and I have been wanting to try to make some so we can see what they are like. I have never had one before (as far as I know) so I am not sure how these compare to "real" scones as they are of a lighter kind. Since we still had some fresh cranberries in the refrigerator I figured it would be a great way to get started!

The dough itself was a little more sticky than I thought it would be, but I find that happens with cooking light bread type recipes. I thought about adding a little more flour, but I did not want to toughen the dough. I figured I might as well press on and just use a little cooking spray on my hands to keep things moving. That worked well and before I placed it in the oven I sprinkled about a tablespoon of raw crystal sugar on top for a little crunch. The inside was light, moist and soft while the golden exterior was nice and crunchy. I tried this warm this morning and then had a snack with one toasted later. Both were very good, but I think warm out of the oven was the best. I can't wait to make more of these!

Tonight our movie from Netflix is I, Robot with Will Smith. Check back tomorrow for the recipe recap from this past week! It has been a busy one in the kitchen!

8 comments:

  1. I have tried making scones at home from a mix that was promised to be great by the kitchen store, it didn't turn out that great. I am so glad that yours turned out.
    Reading your post makes we want to find my cinnamon scones!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As usual, your meals for the week look and sound very appetizing!

    Umm... what happened to the dog photos? It is the weekend. ;-)

    Paz

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum, your scone looks great! Your posts this week are making me want to eat/cook with cranberries!
    Ana

    ReplyDelete
  4. The scones look lovely. Lighter is better, I agree. I find so many commercial scones are like lumps of coal...and very heavy coal at that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh scones, how do I love thee, let me count the ways. Cranberry, currant, cran-orange, blueberry, cinnamon, pumpkin, chocolate...you're the 2nd person who's taken up scones this past week. Must be in the fall air or something. I can't believe you'd never had a scone before?!? Glad to have a recipe to try.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Heather - Cinnamon scones sound sooo good!

    Paz - Max was pretty impatient but I finally got the picture up today!

    Ana - If you can find some cranberries get them if you can! They are such fun to work with.

    Hi Sue - thanks for visiting! Thanks!

    Mona - I'm slowly getting the "must try, never had" list down. I'm so glad we tried these!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like you're not the only one who beat me to the baking punch. : ) I am a complete Sconehead and have two fave recipes I plan to post sometime soon (one landed me a spot as a finalist in the Pillsbury Bake Off). There are sooooo many tempting scone recipes out there. Now that you've tried one, I'm betting you'll be hooked. Welcome to the club! Yum! : )

    ReplyDelete
  8. Can't wait to see your recipes Farmgirl!

    ReplyDelete