Saturday, August 05, 2006

Chocolate Malt Ice Cream that really hit the spot....

We used to make ice cream all the time a few years ago, but we slowly got away from it and would just end up buying some if we wanted it. If I kept the bowl in the freezer I probably would have used it more, but once it was out of sight, I just forgot about it. After we unpacked everything from the move, I cleaned the ice cream machine up and stuck the bowl in the freezer. I went hunting around to see what recipes I could find and figure out if we could come up with something.

We turned Chocolate Malt Ice Cream into a more soymilk based version rather than using cow's milk - but it does have some dry milk in it. Chocolate is used in two ways here; we used chocolate malted-milk powder (Carnation brand) and chopped unsweetened chocolate from Ghiradelli. The base is heated on the stove until it starts to simmer and the chocolate can meld into the liquids. We were looking for a lighter option, so egg whites instead of whole eggs are used which does make it a little less rich. The whites are slowly brought up to temperature by whisking the hot milk mixture in a slow stream so they don't scramble. To get the best finished consistancy, be sure to refrigerate this mixture overnight - if you can't wait that long though, do at least 3-4 hours. We were surprised how much we enjoyed the texture of this - the first day it was smooth, creamy and very chocolately with a malt background. The second day it was a little more icy, but still very good. Jeff commented that it was still rich for being light and the flavor was very remenicient of fudge.


10 comments:

  1. I'm stumbled across your blog before and I'm wondering, how did you get the blog name Culinary in the Desert when it seems you're in Maryland?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my GOD that looks good!!! Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yum, this looks delicious!!
    I made CL's Malted Chocolate Ice Cream once and we enjoyed it a lot on the day it was made, however, after siting in the fridge for a while it got a sort of "grainy" texture, which I believe was due to the malt powder... did you notice this grainyness on your recipe Joe?
    Thanks!
    Ana

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wheresmymind - And it didn't last long!

    Prissycook - When we started the blog, we lived in Phoenix, AZ. We just recently move to Maryland (in the last month!)

    Acme - Thanks!

    Ana - After a couple days it was a little grainy, but not very noticible. The difference here is the milk mixture is slowly heated until it simmers so the sugars in the milk powder have a chance to melt.

    ReplyDelete
  5. just an idea, but next time you could add a bunch of coarsely crushed malted milk balls to the ice cream maker during the last five minutes . . . !!!

    Way to be creative in lightening the recipe. Sounds awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  6. i can practically taste it! mmm

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like Catherine's idea! Let's do that thsi weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Joe! I might try this recipe, we all love ice cream at home and I really like malted milk flavor, it is so yummy!
    Ana

    ReplyDelete
  9. Catherine - I didn't have any when I made the recipe, but I thinking some whoppers would be great in it too! Great idea!

    Catesa - It was so good!

    Jeff - ... well hop to it then!

    Ana - If you end up trying it, let me know! Now you have me wondering how well it holds up after a few days.. hee hee!

    ReplyDelete