Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Just couldn't wait...

We probably should have waited until we had firm plans on what we were going to do with the kitchen, but the fridge that came with the house was just not functional for us. We've been shopping for one and came across this and kept going back to it.

This is a LG french door refrigerator - 25cu.ft and has so much darn room inside!

Since we have a large chest freezer (and now the old fridge...) in the garage, I was not too concerned with the little amount of space lost from not choosing a side-by-side. We both were orginially stuck on having ice AND water accessable on the outside, but when looking at the french doors with that option, the ice maker just took up too much room on the inside. So, the only thing I will miss will be having crushed ice handy, but this one does have 3 sizes for the ice cubes (who knew?!) In our Phoenix house, we bought a fridge that had the titanium finish and we did it again with this one... the clean up is so easy.

Tonight's dinner sadly used up the last of the fresh (frozen...) corn we got at the market. I hope the same people will be there next week with more so we can stock the freezer! The recipe, Chicken and Corn Quesadillas couldn't be simpler as it is just a couple tortillas stuffed with fresh corn, cooked chicken breast, spicy jalapenos (seeds left in please!) and white cheddar cheese. The quesadillas are crisp on the outside with a warm and cheesy filling. We had these with a bit of sour cream, but these would also be great with a chunky salsa.


For the tortillas, we are addicted to a specific brand called Tumaros. We first had them when we were living in Minnesota and have been lucky enough to spot them in Phoenix and here in Frederick. They have a bunch of flavored ones, with our favorite being the Chipotle Chile and Peppers, but we did use the Garden Spinach and Vegetable ones as we were out of the other. Another favorite of ours is the Pesto/Garlic flavor. We have used the La Tortilla Factory ones in the past, but I like the texture of these better. Do you have a favorite kind? We're always looking out for different and tasty ingredients! We spotted some high-fiber ones at Costco a couple weeks ago, but we didn't get a chance to try them before they sold out.

29 comments:

  1. pretty fridge. pretty, pretty fridge.

    I'm 5 feet 2 inches tall, and am taller than my fridge in my apartment.

    Color me jealous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joe,

    I love that refrigerator, too. I always go by to sneak a peek at it in the appliances dept. every time I go to Best Buy. When I buy a house next year, I'm going to check back and see how you like it. Enjoy it (if not for you, for me). :):):)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great fridge! Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice fridge. Bet it cost a pretty penny

    Teddy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Holy sweet-mother-of-freezers, BatMen!

    *whistle* That is gorgeous. I'm sure that many joyous times lie ahead.

    ps- hit the farmer's market this weekend for a bumper crop of that sweet corn!

    ReplyDelete
  6. NICE ice box. I'm sure you won't have any trouble keeping it full of delicious food and goodies!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my goodness. To say I'm jealous would be an understatement! Still you do deserve it. Chill in good health.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ooh, that's the fridge I want, too! I gasped the first time I saw the ad for it, "French doors! Lookit! French doors on a refrigerator! That's such a smart idea!"

    Do let us know if it's as terrific as it looks...

    ReplyDelete
  9. This refrigerator is GREAT! I have NO room in mine, given that it is the apartment-provided refrigerator. When I have my own place, I definitely want a nice frige. BTW, what is your opinion on stainless steel? My parents may be in the market for a new one, and I'm getting info (unsolicited, mind you!) for them!

    I really enjoy your dishes, especially Wednesday, as I like to bake and give it away, as well. This weeks snack is a recipe that I have and love, except I call it s'more bars.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cool fridge! If you want the best tortillas, try making them homemade those are the BEST! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. The stainless really is smart looking. Best of luck with it. Looks like has tons of storage.

    ReplyDelete
  12. convenient and nice-looking ... the perfect fridge .... I often make quesadillas lately ... the chicken and corn duo sounds good ... I am improving my I-cook-my-own-tortilla-dough skills each time ... :)
    bises.

    ReplyDelete
  13. pretty fridge...........do you have to have jalopeno's [spelling]???its scary
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. OMG....my dream fridge!!!! I love the French doors, and really LOVE the freezer on the bottom. The freezer is huge compared to the top loading freezer I have now. It is such an inconvenient and lame design to have the compartment most often used on the bottom of the fridge, so that one has to sit down to find what one is looking for in the deep dark recesses of the interior of the fridge. Plus the freezer on the bottom has major nostaliga issues for me, since I grew up with a fridge like that in both my parents' and grandparents' homes.

    Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am sooooooooooo jealous of your new fridge. Mine just is not big enough and it's the biggest one our tiny kitchen can accomodate.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great choice on the fridge. I adore my French door fridge, and will never go with a different style. It's so darn perfect! I'm sure you will love it for years to come.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow...that's one nice kitchen appliance :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Man, I'm gonna need a cold shower after seeing that fridge!! THREE sizes of ice cubes!?!? WOW! Are any of those close enough to substitute for your crushed ice?

    ReplyDelete
  19. whatta fridge !! jealous me. ;)
    Did you know that LG also makes a similar kind of fridge but with an LCD TV on one of its doors?! Yeah we saw it in one appliance shop and was mesmerised by it. It's one of those things you just dream of having just like your fridge ...

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love the new fridge! Three sizes of ice cubes? Way cool.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm so jealous of your new fridge!! I've looked at those so many times. We want to replace ours but don't think we'll be able to get that one.
    My favorite tortillas are from La Nortena Tortilla Factory in my home town. They have the best tortillas, tamales, and chips! I always buy a bunch to bring home to put in the freezer. I like gordita (fat) tortillas as apposed to the thinner ones.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thanks everyone! It has been fun figuring out well to put everything - we still have several empty spots! I can't wait to see how it performs as we couldn't find many reviews on this model. So far, it is very quiet and excellent!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I want my fridge to DIE! That way I can talk DH into getting one just like yours. My sister has one. Why can't I? My favorite tortillas are locally made; recently they started making whole wheat ones. I buy them at a carneceria in Yucaipa.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I am so drooling over your fridge. Look at all that space! I'd almost even trade you Rocco for it. Ok. Maybe not. But I'd think about it.

    ReplyDelete
  25. That's a great fridge -- we just put the same one in (but it's the Kenmore branded version) - our looks like it does 5 sizes of ice cubes however!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I am so curious to know what you call a "french door" refrigerator ?!
    What kind of door can it be ? Don't you have the same fridge doors we have ?...
    Anyway, you've made a wonderful choice. Very nice and design.
    A little bit in a zen style, don't you think ?

    ReplyDelete
  27. Cyndi - You could always do some work to make it happen... he may never know hee hee!

    Ed - Don't tempt Jeff!

    Sam - 5 sizes - neat!

    Thalie - It's called a french door because of how the doors open - not anything related to the actual doors, sorry for any confusion!

    ReplyDelete
  28. We have the Kenmore counter-depth version that has the five sizes of ice cubes. We love it!!!! The platter drawer is so darn practical and the freezer drawer is awesome.

    ReplyDelete