Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Very special treat day!

Yesterday, I alluded to baking for the Weekly Wednesday treat day, but I couldn't talk about it yet as I needed to wait until this morning to finish assembling it. Today is Jeff's birthday, which just happens to fall on a Wednesday this year, so we had to make this treat extra special for him to share!

For his past birthdays, I've always done some sort of an untraditional cake - here is one cake I made a couple years ago. This Mickey cake came about as Jeff is a Disney fanatic.

Last year's cake was really just an experiment of sorts - it was a rich Devil's Food Cake with a ring of homemade Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream hidden inside and then frosted with a peppermint spiked Swiss Meringue. I placed it under the broiler for a minute or so to brown the meringue spikes.

We kept with the untraditional theme this year and I made a Giant Chocolate Chip Cookie Cake! This cake is 5 souped-up cookies layered with a cream cheese mixture that has been very lightly sweetened with confectioners' sugar.

Giant Chocolate Chip Cookie CakeWhile I was gathering the ingredients yesterday, I was a little nervous as I was reading through the ingredient list as something didn't seem right. I read over this recipe a few times in the past couple of weeks, but it didn't hit me until then that the recipe only called for 6 tablespoons of softened butter to be creamed until "light and fluffy" with just over 2 cups of sugar. Good luck with that happening I thought! I sat down and read through the whole recipe again and figured that the missing fat from the butter would be added back in from heavy cream later on, but I still didn't get how the butter and sugar were suppose to cream together. Guess what, it doesn't! I went ahead anyway and it finally began to look like cookie dough as soon as I got the eggs in.

Once the cookie dough is ready, you smear 5 large rounds of dough onto parchment paper and bake one at a time until the disks are deeply golden around the edges and just slightly browned in the middle. You want to make sure they are cooked enough so they will hold together - they can be a little on the dry side if needed as the cookies will soften a bit from the filling. To make sure that the rounds are the correct size, you can trace an 8" circle on the other side of the parchment paper and use that as your guide when you spread out the dough. It should spread evenly while in the oven, but if it doesn't, you can gently reshape it with an off-set spatula halfway through baking. The dough bakes into thick and sturdy rounds that are covered with a generous amount of cream cheese whipped with confectioners' sugar.

Giant Chocolate Chip Cookie CakeI don't have pictures of it sliced since Jeff took it into work (and didn't save me any!), but from what I gather it went over very well! I was afraid that the whole thing might be a bit too sweet, however, the creamy richness from the filling was enough to cut the sweetness from the cookie layers. Impressive to look at, delicious from what I'm told and quite fun to make, this unique cake was just what I was looking for and I can't wait for another chance to make this again!

Giant Chocolate Chip Cookie Cake

20 comments:

  1. What a clever idea! Did they actually cut it like a cake? Does Jeff realize what a lucky guy he is? Happy Birthday, Jeff!!Jancd

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday Jeff!! Love the idea of the cookie-cake. It looks really good. I finally made your Chocolate mocha cupcakes tonight. Wow! what a treat. So moist. One of my sons already had three in the past 30 min. I think they will be gone by tomorrow. Thanks for always sharing recipes that are a success at my house with DH and my two sons.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday Jeff!

    The cake looks great! You should have had Jeff save you some, though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday Jeff!

    I made a similar cake for my own birthday, but baked the cookies in 8-inch cake pans and then assembled it all in a springform pan (with ice cream between the layers, yum yum).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Giant cookie cake.....YUM! Jeff is a lucky guy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Whoooaaaa - check that thing out! That's like the motherload of cookies and cake all in one! NICE JOB!

    (And Happy Birthday to Jeff!)

    I think you need to make one for yourself now - and MAYBE share a little with Jeff if you feel like being nice! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. You make the best birthday treats ever!! I remember last year's cake and I'm still amazed by it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. happy birthday Jeff! That's a stunning cake!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Birthday Jeff! Wow! What an amazing cookie cake!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you eveyone! It was indeed a great day, thanks to Joe :) And yes I know how incredibly lucky I am!!!

    That cake was awesome! I tried to give him a bite, but my fork slipped and it ended up in my mouth! Honest! :p

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a lucky guy! Happy birthday Jeff :)

    Shall I send you my birthday for future, ahem, reference???

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy Birthday Jeff!

    Joe, I bow to you oh master of baking :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy Birthday to Jeff! That cookie cake looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy Birthday, Jeff.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Happy Belated Birthday, Jeff! Did you wish for another puppy?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yes! I am waiting *tap tap tap*

    Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Happy Belated Jeff!!!

    Joe - Marry me - the cake looks AMAZING !!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. That is one amazing cookie-cake!

    ReplyDelete