Sunday, September 19, 2010

Devil's Food White-Out Cake...

Jeff's birthday is today and each year I make him some sort of cake, though last year that didn't happen as we went to Disney instead! I made that Mickey cake several years ago, a Devil's Food Cake with a ring of homemade Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream hidden inside and the outrageous Giant Chocolate Chip Cookie Cake and we certainly can't forget about those Caramel Apple Cupcakes. What did I make this year?

Knowing his love for both chocolate and marshmallow and how well the previous Devil's food cake went over, I took it one step farther this time by making this snazzy Devil's Food White-Out Cake. Dorie once again came through and didn't let us down - while this cake does take some time to put together, it turned out to be alarmingly good and is really putting my will to resist it to the test.

Cocoa powder, melted bittersweet chocolate and bits of milk chocolate inside this cake made it dark, dangerous and so chocolaty down to each last crumb. I didn't change much to the original recipe, though the one I did do was adding a scoop of instant espresso powder to press the limits of the chocolate-ness.

Two cakes are baked, with little to no doming on either by the way, but you'll notice three layers in the finished piece. Each cake in halved, with the last layer torn apart to press into the frosting for a whimsical finish. Splitting the cakes is a snap as the cake is darn sturdy - if you don't think you can do this by eye, push a few toothpicks around the edges to help guide your knife.

I had the rounds already baked, so all I needed to do this morning was whip together the homemade marshmallow frosting. I think this cake could handle most types of frosting, but this fluffy, smooth marshmallow one is so light, billowy and not-too-sweet that it complimented the darkness of the chocolate, instead of fighting with it for control. It may seem a little off-putting dealing with boiling sugar syrup and egg whites, but this frosting is worth the effort and held up well to getting it on the cake and through slicing.

I noticed that the cake was a little lighter in texture after I cut each in two for layering, but as it sat chilling until we were ready to dive it, it turned almost fudge-like, but in cake form. Dense and moist, like a ridiculous brownie, yet not as rich that you couldn't finish a chunky wedge. With its flashy, impressive appearance, I urge you to make this cake for your next celebration - not only will your guests thank you, but you'll be patting yourself on the back as you sink into your own personal chocolate coma of delight. Devilish, indeed.

15 comments:

  1. Oh, how I love this cake. It's one of my favorites. Happy birthday to Jeff! I always remember it's his birthday because it's also Talk Like A Pirate Day. Maybe one of these years he needs a Pirate Mickey cake?

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG! Does that look awesome! I'm drooling here. Send a bib.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday to Jeff. I'm so jealous - that cake looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. First, Happy Bithday to Jeff!!

    Secondly, I just copied this recipe earlier this week because I plan to make it for my daughter's birthday. She is definitely a chocoholic - what 17 year old girl isn't? Thanks for the tip about the espresso powder!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Birthday to Jeff!!
    And the cake looks awesome!
    Ana

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Birthday to Jeff. I always have Dorie's book sitting on the counter (since I'm with the TWD group). My friend saw this cake last year and pointed to it and said, "THAT is what I want for my birthday." The cake was a big hit! Yours looks perfect, as usual!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This cake is fantastic. What a nice way to celebrate a birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The cake looks cover-of-a-book perfect! You did a terrific job and I'm so glad you liked it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your Devil's Food White-Out Cake looks awesome! Thanks for the great blog! I love it.

    Rita
    Gourmet Cookies

    ReplyDelete
  10. WOW!!! That cake looks awesome! YUM! And Dorie even commented on it! I've been a silent follower of your blog but had to comment on this cake. Honestly, I follow many blogs but I love yours the best. And Jeff , Happy B-Day! You are one lucky fellow! Steph

    ReplyDelete
  11. Delicious looking cake. And happy birthday to Jeff!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Jeff says thanks for all of the birthday wishes!

    We ate most of it, though Jeff did bring in a few slices to share with his co-workers! So good!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy Birthday Jeff. I've always lusted over that cake - it's the cover cake after all!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Every year I see the same group of friends for New Year's Eve - the same group of friends get together and have done for over a decade. Every year I make a special cake to have with champagne at midnight and this was to be the one this year - I had bookmarked it and was so excited. And then I slipped on the ice on 19th December and was in hospital until Christmas Day. So no fancy cake this year, but I'm definitely saving it until next year!

    Happy New Year to you two - it's such a lovely blog, and will keep me entertained for the next six weeks, immobile on the sofa! :-( xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Avanika - Thanks!

    VickyB - I'm sorry to hear that! I hope you are able to get up and move around soon. Jeff had surgery right before Christmas himself and I know he isn't a happy camper!

    ReplyDelete