Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Revisiting Chipotle-Maple Peanut Brittle

With this being Thanksgiving week, several of Jeff's co-workers won't be in the office for the weekly Wednesday treat day item. Since there should be at least few people there, we did still make a smaller treat to bring in and while it won't be new to us, it will be to them!

Before I could even think about what would be good to prepare, Jeff chimed in with "I already have an idea! Let's do that crazy Chipotle-Maple Peanut Brittle!". I had to remind him that this wasn't only for him and he would have to share - he pouted for a minute, but then agreed and said he would do his best to not horde it all.

I did update the directions slightly in the recipe. First is pan selection - when you pour the molten candy on the piece of parchment paper, try and line the paper (a silpat works wonderful here too) in a pan that either doesn't have raised edges or is open on at least two sides. When you flatten the candy with a rolling pin (fantastic method, by the way!), if you use a traditional four-sided sheet pan, it makes it a little tricky - doable, but tricky. Also, as you top the candy with parchment paper to roll, be sure to leave it there for about 5 minutes once you are done - if you try to tear it off right away, the candy likes to stick a bit, pulling up thin strings that harden quickly into sharp spears!

Sweet, a touch salty (salted peanuts are a must!) and a burn that slowly creeps up to take you by surprise, if you love unique treats, this is one you can't pass up! If you missed our first post and would like to read about our first foray into this intriguing brittle, check it out here.

9 comments:

  1. This looks and sounds yummy, Love the idea of the hidden warmth

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joe
    I've been trying to get in touch about publishing some of your photos. Please check your emails - I'd like to hear from you. Thanks.
    Wendy
    Foulsham Publishing

    ReplyDelete
  3. Joe
    I've been trying to get in touch about publishing some of your photos. Please check your emails - I'd like to hear from you. Thanks.
    Wendy
    Foulsham Publishing

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooohhh!!! I'm so glad you posted this one! Another one that I've copied and never done. I'm printing again!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. my goodness your blog looks wonderful and you offer such great tips. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks incredible...I can't wait to try it. Wednesday treat day is such a fantastic idea! What lucky co-workers!

    ReplyDelete
  7. this looks delicious! happy thanksgiving, you two!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Katie - It does sneak up on you though... but it is so good!

    Wendy - Found the e-mails!

    Kim - Enjoy!

    TL - Thanks!

    Donna - We've been doing it for several years now!

    Millet - Thank you! Happy Thanksgiving to you too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yum. You're reminding me that I don't revisit my old favorites as often as I should. I'm always so caught up in trying something new that I don't always go back to the tried and trues. However, you've showed that there definitely is value in doing so because not only do you get to taste something lovely again, but every time you make something there is a new opportunity to tweak the method or the ingredients to make it better.

    ReplyDelete