Saturday, March 18, 2006

Colorful biscotti....

I mentioned last Sunday that I would be using some Jelly Beans to try out a recipe for the upcoming holiday. I'm pretty happy with the results and it was pretty fun to eat! Easter always leaves us with leftover Jelly Beans, so this will be a nice way to get some of them used up!

The recipe, Easter Biscotti, ends up being not as hard and crunchy as other biscotti recipes we make because the base includes some butter. In our other recipes, egg and vanilla are the only things added to bind the dough together so you end up with a crumbly base. In this version, I found the dough to be a bit sticker and a little harder to work with, but once it was on the baking sheet and using wet fingers, it was easier to work with. I used Jelly Beans that had 5 or 6 different fruit flavors instead of ones that have some pretty crazy concoctions. The biscotti does still have a crunch, but the inside is a bit more tender. Each bite contained a different flavor which was odd at first, but it was pretty addicting! The first log I let cool for about 5 minutes before cutting, as I do with all biscotti, but I found you have to let these cool at least 10-20 minutes. If cut too early, you end up having problems with the candy being to warm and it sticks to the knife or pulls out of the cookie.

Tonight's Netflix DVD will be Fantastic Four with Jessica Alba and Chris Evans. After dinner, I will be sorting through the recipe piles to see what we can find to make this week. I have not added much to the pile in the past couple weeks, so it is nice to see it go down for a change! Stay tuned!

9 comments:

  1. how cool. I love the idea of jelly beans in the biscotti. What brand of jelly beans did you use? I was thinking if you used Jelly Bellies you could come up with some pretty wierd flavored biscotti... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joe - I was wondering when the jelly beans would show up this week! I have a niece and nephew who would LOVE the idea of getting to eat jellybeans for breakfast.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How fun! The Easter biscotti is a neat idea!
    I may have to purchase some jelly bellies soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. what a funny idea and very "kid-friendly".. I know a bunch of growns up who would loved it too ... :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great Easter treat - so colorful and tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These look colourful -- perfect for Easter. There's so much you could do with interesting flavour combinations of jelly beans. And then maybe dip half in white chocolate ... mmm ...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those are so cool! I am going to have to show this to my kids!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lex - I used the Brachs brand - and yeah, I bet the flavor combinations could be so fun!

    Ed - Your niece/nephews are not the only one as I found out this weekend... hee hee!

    JJ - I liked how colorful it ended up and how the colors did not bleed everywhere.

    Sabine - One grown up here who liked it too!

    Mebeth - Thanks!

    Tania - I like the dipping idea!

    Michelle - Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Caloden - Thanks for letting me know! I'll be watching for it!

    ReplyDelete