Monday, March 13, 2006

Unusual, but surprisingly good...

But first we have to get to dessert...

We have made scones once before, but I've been wanting to try out another recipe. The technique is a bit different than the other one and I found the dough to be not as sticky this time. In fact, it was quite crumbly when you get to the stage to lighty knead it.

The golden brown crust on the Sour Cream Scones is crisp with a cinnamon sugar coating. When I split one open, I found the texture of the inside to be light and soft. The introduction of less than half whole wheat flour adds a nuttiness to the scone, without making it too heavy as if you used all whole wheat. These are not as rich like ones made with heavy cream, but I don't think I missed that much at all in these. I think this recipe could take on several different add-ins to replace the raisins if you don't like them. While these are tasty plain, you could fill them with some lemon curd, preserves, or clotted cream to dress them up.

Tonight's dinner was pretty interesting. Asian Pasta Salad has an ingredient that I had to travel to a few different stores to find as I wanted to make sure I was using the correct one it called for. It calls for "Chinese noodles" and when I looked up the brand name they suggested (Ka-Me) the ones I found in the store looked nothing like it. I finally found what I think were the right ones the other day so I went ahead with the recipe.

This would have been a great side dish to the Asian-Style Meat Loaves we had the other night. Instead of using the "angel slaw" it called for, I used a broccoli slaw that included broccoli, red cabbage and carrots. This is mixed with a toasted combination of raw sunflower seeds, sliced almonds and the crumbled dry noodles. A flavorful dressing is mixed in and everything sits for a few minutes to absorb. The noodles retain a bit of their crunchy texture, but soften just enough to be easily eaten - it kind of reminded us of like a firm ramen noodle. Different for us, but we were quite happy with the results - Jeff found himself saying "hmm, I'm going back for seconds!"

5 comments:

  1. Hi Joe - thanks for stopping by my site. I had not found you before --great blog with lots of recipes. I wish I could find more time to cook. I'll come back and visit when I have a little more time. Keep sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I make a Ramen Noodle Salad that sounds a lot like your salad and I had the same reaction the first time I tried it - YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also have a ramen noodle salad similar to this recipe. The noodles are not cooked and I thought it sounded odd but it is so yummy. It's not good leftover though as the noodles get soggy. The recipe I have makes a ton and I always cut it in half and it's still too much.
    Do you ever make a bad recipe? LOL....they sure all look wonderful.

    Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmmm, scones - of course I would top them with about 8 lbs of cream and cancel out any healthy attributes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. janice - Thanks for checking us out!

    michele - Have you posted your recipe yet?

    Tammy - I didn't mind the leftovers today, but you are right they were a bit soggy.

    mebeth - hee hee!

    ReplyDelete