Saturday, April 08, 2006

Trying to choose...

Jeff has been asking me to do a dessert type dish that involved apples for awhile now. He didn't really have a preference on what kind, so we went back and forth trying to figure out what he would like from the many apple recipes waiting to be tried.

I ended up going with an older EW recipe - Old-Fashioned Apple-Nut Crisp. After peeling and slicing up some granny smith apples, they are mixed with brown sugar, cinnamon and fresh lemon juice. The apples then go into the oven to prebake while you make the topping. Whole wheat flour, rolled oats and brown sugar is cut with a bit of cold butter and then mixed with canola oil and apple juice concentrate to moisten. Hazelnuts are mixed in for some crunch and nutty flavor. After about 30 minutes, the sweet clumpy topping is scattered on top and then back it goes to finish baking.

The result is tender, tart and juicy apples that are shrouded by a nutty, crisp and flavorful crust. As it cools, the juices are reabsorbed and we were able to cut them pretty cleanly. The brown sugar adds just enough sweetness that pairs well with the bits of chunky hazelnuts. You can you use walnuts instead, but I think the hazelnuts brought a unique and different flavor to this dish.

Tonight's netflix movie will be Missing in America starring Danny Glover, Ron Peralman and Linda Hamilton. Another movie I've never heard of - hopefully it won't dissapoint!

5 comments:

  1. Apples with hazelnuts? That sounds like a heavenly combo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my that looks so good. I might be adding apples to my shoppping list tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks delicious! Have you tried CL's Cinnamon Apple Cake? That's a definite favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That dish certainly looks tempting. I love apple crisp...and this looks like a wonderful version.

    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I absolutely love baked apples, and apple crisp is one of my favorite desserts! I was also talking about making something with apples before the cold days goes completely away... maybe I will try this one! Yum!!
    Ana

    ReplyDelete