Monday, November 20, 2006

Easy make ahead dinner or turn them into an appetizer!

I've been busy getting some prep work done before the upcoming holiday this week - I'm just trying to do bits and pieces when I can so we can relax and enjoy the day. Since I was going to be busy with that, last night I made the dinner we actually cooked tonight since you can assemble and freeze the portions before hand. I only had to pop them in the oven and throw together the dip to complete the recipe for Chicken and Black Bean Taquitos with Adobo Sour Cream.

Chopped cooked chicken breast, shredded Monterey Jack and Jalapeno cheddar cheese, black beans and diced green chiles are pulsed together in a food processor to form the filling. For the tortillas, I used a favorite Chipotle flavored kind that we have been using for the last couple of years. The filling is spread on one side of each tortilla and then instead of wrapping it like a burrito, the tortillas are rolled up like a log. Once sliced in half, they can be placed in a ziploc bag and frozen - this way you can make as many as you want or need at any time, rather than baking up a whole batch. You could also bake them right away, but you will want to check them a couple minutes early so they don't get too browned. The sauce could not be easier - sour cream mixed with fresh cilantro and spicy chipotles in adobo - just enough heat to compliment the mildly seasoned filling. After just a few minutes in the oven, the tortillas have a satisfying, shattering crunch when you bite into them - I had no idea just how easy these were to make yourself at home! We've seen them sold in the market, but never ventured out to try them!

5 comments:

  1. These taquitos look soo good! Not like the scary ones in the grocery freezer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. crispy tortillas filled with tasty stuff...who can resist?? it would probably be pretty good with guacamole too no?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had no idea they were so easy to make either, and yours look delish!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lauren - Thanks! And I agree :-)

    Cat b - I imagine it would be!

    Susan - Easy right? I like how you can keep them in the freezer for easy access whenever you need them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your taquitos look delicious! Have you ever tried them with turkey?

    ReplyDelete