Saturday, March 24, 2007

Cinnamon-Apple Bars with Peanut Butter Glaze...

I was on a mission to bake this morning and it had been a couple weeks since we cracked open the King Arthur Flour Whole Grain Baking book. One of my favorite and frequent snacks is apples with a side of peanut butter for dipping - after browsing through a few recipes, I spotted one that that used the two in a new way.

Filled with fall-ish spices, these Cinnamon-Apple Bars with Peanut Butter Glaze sure made for a sweet way to start off the weekend. We used whole wheat pastry flour, white whole wheat flour and ground rolled oats to make these whole grain bars - but with the spices, butter and rich brown sugar they don't have that mildly bitter "wheat-y" taste to them. Using applesauce in the bars keeps them extremely moist - but since you're not using it to replace the fat in the recipe, they don't have a rubbery texture to them. While they are soft and dense, they are not cake-like - but they also don't have that chewy quality like a bar cookie would; it is somewhere in between those two if that makes any sense! You could use chocolate chips if you prefer, but we quite liked the engaging burst the melted pockets of cinnamon chips added. Spread on top is a generous thick glaze made simply from peanut butter melted in the microwave with sticky honey. The two spread easily when warm, but the mixture does start to firm up after a few minutes... so don't dwadle when your frosting the bars.


8 comments:

  1. Hey! Those bars look soooo yum. PEANUTBUTTER'S THE WAY TO GO.=)

    http://ooohcake.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hummm, the way you described the bars sounded like they are so healthy and delicious that made me drool!
    I love baked goods with oatmeal and cinnamon, plus I like everything apple! And I know apples go well with peanut butter, but do you think the bars would be good by themselves, without the frosting? It looks so good, and you mentioned them being moist, so I might try this recipe sometime soon!! Yum!
    Ana

    ReplyDelete
  3. Me again... just to say that you have made so many yummy baked goods from this King Arthur whole grain baking book that I am considering getting a copy myself! (I love whole grain baked goods, especially things made with oatmeal!)
    Ana

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have great recipe idea's, I really like these cinnamen bars :)


    visit jeena's kitchen healthy recipe blog

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sound great! I have to do some baked goods for work this week and I might give these a shot. BTW: Totally the same snack I have; apples and PB! YUM.

    ReplyDelete
  6. peanut butter and apple is a match made in heaven. I eat them together all the time. great dish!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ive looked at the recipe many times, I might just have to make them since Robin loves PB. You must make the nutty for oats cookies. Robin absolutely loved them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Victoria - Why thank you!

    Ana - Hmm... good question Ana, I'm not sure - the peanut frosting was quite delicious!

    Ana - Money well spent here!

    Jeena - Thanks!

    Scotte - I hope you let me know if you try them!

    Funwithyourfood - It is truly a great combo!

    Randi - I've had those cookies marked, but I have so many others to try too!

    ReplyDelete