Saturday, March 31, 2007

Unexpected carrot cupcake spree...

I did not have any plans to bake today, but while I was trying to organize the monster stacks of to-try recipes, I came across a cupcake that I kept meaning to make. Since this recipe, Carrot Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting, didn't have ingredients that needed to come to room temperature (well besides the cream cheese, but that had plenty of time to soften) I decided to put off the organizing for another day and get the oven warmed up!

This recipe uses a combination of whole wheat pastry flour and all-purpose, which I've been using a lot lately. I like using the duo as it lends nutrition from the whole wheat, but using some all-purpose helps to keep them light with a decent texture. Most carrot cakes or cupcakes are laden with oil, but while in this version we did use some canola oil, some of that has been replaced by natural applesauce which makes them a little more acceptable for us. The applesauce ensures the cupcakes will be very moist, but still adding a bit of oil gives them structure and you won't end up with that rubbery texture. Spiced with cinnamon, nutmeg and vanilla, the cupcakes also have a good amount of crunchy toasted walnuts lurking inside. A sweet creamy frosting adorns the top made from softened cream cheese, confectioners' sugar and fresh grated lemon zest for a light zing.

You could leave these plain, top them off with a few colorful sprinkles or even a scattering of nutty toasted walnuts would be great way finish these off with a layer of crunch against the soft frosting.


4 comments:

  1. Joe, You are a bad influence!! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the picture of those cupcakes. Do I need one of those old fashioned graters/box grater or can I save time and use the food processor?

    These are now on the top of my to try list.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Louelee - hee hee... I try!

    Gigi - Thanks!

    Anon - I don't see why not! Give it a try!

    ReplyDelete