Sunday, April 01, 2007

Chewy ginger cookies...

Another week has flown by and we are slowly working into springtime... that means it is almost time for the farmer's market to open! We made 12 new recipes this week - our favorites this time were the Vermont Cheddar Mashed Yukon Golds, Broccoli, Asiago and Chicken Sausage Frittata and the Carrot Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting.

I really didn't need to make cookies today, especially since we had the spur of the moment cupcakes yesterday, but I had already planned on making these Double Ginger Crackles. Since cookies usually freeze well, I forged ahead and decided to make them anyway! These cookies have a racy bite from a doubly whammy of ginger - ground and crystallized. Once the dough has been made and shaped, the balls are rolled in granulated sugar to give some shine to the crackly crust. Using a tablespoon cookie scoop, I got around 40 decent sized cookies - I think these would be good as giant cookies if you want to use a 1/4 cup measure though! We quite enjoyed these as the texture of them was dense and very chewy - I used part brown sugar in the dough to add to the chew factor. Leaving them to cool on the baking sheets for 5 minutes also helps lend to their chewiness.

With just enough molasses to darken the dough, the cookies don't seem to have that overwhelming flavor molasses can sometimes add. Jeff did remark that these will have to make the Holiday baking bonanza that we do every year! The only thing that I would have liked was for these to have a bit more crispness to them - I'm not sure if baking them longer would do that, without ruining that fantastic chewy texture.


4 comments:

  1. Mmmm...I shouldn't have peeked! These look delicious. I'm trying to cut back a bit on baking - or really the eating that follows - and am experiencing cookie withdrawal!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never made ginger cookies and these look absolutely delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Ginger Cookies! And, because ginger has medicinal qualities, we can tell ourselves as we eat them that they are really doing us good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Alysha - I seem to be making way more than my fair share lately!

    Patricia - Thanks!

    Freya - Good point!

    ReplyDelete