Monday, March 12, 2007

Playing catch up...

So we spent most of the day yesterday driving from Minneapolis to Des Moines... we flew into the cities so it would give us a chance to stop at the farm and visit for awhile! We're over here so Jeff can attend some meetings - at least the weather is nice... it is suppose to be close to 70 the next few days too! Woo!

As I mentioned earlier, I did get a chance to try out some other recipes before we left... this recipe, Peanut-Tamarind Sweet Potato Curry, is one we had for dinner a few days ago. Chunky sweet potatoes are simmered in vegetable broth with fresh ginger, jalapeño and curry powder until they are tender. Tangy orange juice, crunchy peanut butter, brown sugar and tamarind paste are stirred into the soft potatoes and left to cook for just a few minutes more to thicken up. To serve, I made some floral-scented brown jasmine rice as a base to the chunky curry. We were expecting this dish to have more of a kick to it, but I think we got a dud jalapeño - that seems to be happening a lot lately! If you don't have tamarind paste, you could substitute an equal amount of fresh lime juice, but do try and find the paste as I think it is worth the effort. This had a pleasant balance between savory and sweet - the crunchy peanuts brought a salty bite and a nice crunch to the curry. I don't find meals like this photograph all that well, at least for us, but here's one we shot anyway!

3 comments:

  1. This sounds delicious.

    I stumbled across your site a few months ago, when looking for vegetarian sloppy joes with a kick. I had two near-carnivores that I had to please, and only your recipe seemed like it would do. They were a hit, above and beyond the traditional hamburger sloppy joes (no surprise... their flavors were much more layered than the traditional sloppy joe sauce from a can).

    I have since been impressed by your repertoire of recipes. It's so easy to find something for every diet, particularly vegetarian and gluten free. Thanks for letting us follow, and learn from, your culinary adventures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Dud" jalapenos, eh? Well, either they are starting to sell those lower-heat varietals that I grow in my garden every year, or--more likely--you guys have just burned off your receptors!

    I love your site and make your recipes often, but I always have to remember to halve the amount of cayenne pepper or the like when I do, and I like spicy foods! ;-)

    Keep up the good blogging!
    --Gina (lindseysluscious.blogspot.com)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Megan - Thank you! I hope we can continue to keep you entertained!

    Gina - hee hee, it is probably the latter! We do tend to like things extra spicy!

    ReplyDelete