Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Revival of treat day...

We have been making headway on turning the new house here in Charlotte into our home, unpacking a good amount of those boxes the movers delivered last Saturday. The kitchen is, in no uncertain terms, a disaster area at the moment - I think I found all the boxes and emptied them, but all the goods are strategically strewn (well, maybe not so much, but it sounded good) over the counter tops and kitchen table, waiting for me to figure out where their new home will be. My plan is to attack that mess after I get this post finished!

I've gotten a few e-mails on when we're going to start up the Wednesday Treat Day and I didn't want to push it off any longer, so I carved out an area on the island this morning to whip up this weeks' goodie. Besides, it gave me a chance to test out the oven! Jeff saw me going through recipes to figure out what to make and he suggested we ease in and just re-make a favorite cookie of his that we've done before, but not for this group of co-workers. Sounded good to me and we decided on those whimsical Root Beer Float Cookies!

I did touch up the recipe from the last time we posted about them, changing the wording some, while also adding a splash of vanilla (not sure why we didn't think to add that before, always good in my book!).

My plan is to get back with new recipes, hopefully at least one or two within the next few days, and get back into our normal cooking routine by next week or so... we just need to get out and restock our cooking/baking supplies! Speaking of, I'm all ears if you have any suggestions about favorite markets or food shopping places if you're in the area!

9 comments:

  1. I've never heard of this before! I love root beer...can't imagine not loving this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are one dedicated treat day chef! I can't imagine trying to bake in the midst of unpacking after a move! I hope Jeff and everyone he works with appreciates your time and talent and the yummy treats you create!

    Take your time unpacking...moving is stressful! The blog and all of your eager readers will still be here when you get around to posting again--we will understand if it takes a while :-)

    Courtney

    ReplyDelete
  3. DC - If you like root beer, then you'd like these!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are my favorite cookies! good luck with everything.

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh how cute. The best of both worlds, root beer and desert!
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  6. Welcome to Charlotte! For grocery stores, check out Harris Teeter and Trader Joe's.

    I love your blog and have followed it for years!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Joe, I don't live in Charlotte, but check out this URL:
    http://www.earthfare.com/OurStores/Charlotte%20Ballantyne.aspx

    Earth Fare just opened in Huntsville, AL and I find it a fairyland!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. These look delicious and that's a very interesting concept. I just got a KitchenAid stand mixer and I can't wait to try this out. I promised my boyfriend cookies first. Thanks for the ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Josh - Glad you liked them!

    WotPrairie - Thanks Suzanne!

    Anon - I've been to both! Thanks for the suggestions.

    NJS - We've found two of them close by us and went last weekend. Neat store!

    ReplyDelete