Thursday, May 19, 2005

Butterscotch Brownies With Brown Sugar Butter Icing

Butterscotch Brownies With Brown Sugar Butter Icing (Adapted from Pastry Queen Parties)

For the batter

3 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
16 tablespoons (1 cup or 2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
3 cups packed brown sugar
4 large eggs
1 tablespoon vanilla

For the icing

16 tablespoons (1 cup or 2 sticks) unsalted butter
2 cups packed brown sugar
heaping 1/4 teaspoon salt
4 cups sifted confectioners' sugar
1/3 cup half-and-half
1 tablespoon vanilla

To prepare the batter

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and salt.

In a large mixing bowl, beat together butter and sugar until smooth and creamy. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, mixing until well combined after each. Mix in vanilla. Add dry ingredients and mix just until combined.

Pour mixture into a 13" x 18" half-sheet pan coated with nonstick spray, smoothing the top with an off-set spatula. Place pan into the oven and bake until the bars are set and slightly puffed, about 25 to 30 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely.

To prepare the icing

In a medium saucepan, melt butter, brown sugar and salt over medium heat. As soon as the mixture is lightly bubbling, reduce heat to medium-low and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and set aside.

In a large mixing bowl, beat together confectioners' sugar, half-and-half and vanilla until smooth. Pour in the melted butter mixture and beat until combined. Immediately spread icing over brownies and allow to sit for 30 minutes before cutting into squares.

Makes about 30 brownies (though you could get away with cutting them smaller as they are fairly rich).

Just found the recipe? Click here to see where we talked about it!

13 comments:

  1. Perfect timing! I need to quickly prepare a dessert snack for 20 kids and their parents and this looks to be delicious! Can you please tell me how you slice the bars so beatuifully? I am always amazed at how clean the edges of your bars are.
    Thank you! Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, those look REALLY good. I agree with you about the nuts. I'll have to add some toasted pecans (my favorite.) Or do you think less sweet walnuts would work better?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks fabulous. Please tell how you cut them with such beautiful, clean lines!! Jen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cindy - I use one of those large and sharp pizza rockers, sometimes warming it under water first. I also take extra time to make sure it is cleaned in between cuts. If that doesn't work for you, you could try stashing the pan in the refrigerator for a bit.

    Jennifer - My first choice would be pecans!

    Jenjen - Thanks! See above,

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh wow, I wish I could eat one right now! I absolutely have to make these as soon as possible! You have the best recipes and your pictures are divine! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I made these for my family and supper club. I love the idea of adding nuts but I wanted the kids to be able to take the bars in their school lunches, so I didn't add nuts. I added a few chocolate chips, baked these in a half-sheet pan and used only half the frosting. Fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jessica - Glad to hear it worked well with half of the frosting!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Made these today. The icing brought back fond memories of my Grandmother's Penuche Fudge! Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  9. My frosting was very crunchy with sugar crystals...followed the directions precisely, I think! Otherwise delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh no! I may have all the ingredients for this without going to the store. This is baaaaad.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Look great ! There's loads of brown sugar in this recipe, isn't there? I can see myself getting a sugar rush. Worth it though!

    Exactly why are these called "Butterscotch" brownies?? I didn't see anything butterscotch related in the list of ingredients. :P

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love making these! people love them so much and i've gotten nothing but positive feedback! funny thing is Alison Oresman is actually my aunt! First made these when she was visiting.

    ReplyDelete