Thursday, May 12, 2005

Chili Dog Chili

Chili Dog ChiliChili Dog Chili (Adapted from Rachael Ray)

2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
12 ounces hot dogs, sliced into small bite-size pieces
12 ounces ground sirloin
8 ounces ground turkey
1 1/2 cups diced onion
4 garlic cloves, chopped
2 jalapeƱo peppers, seeded and finely chopped
2 tablespoons chili powder
2 tablespoons cumin
salt and fresh ground black pepper
2 to 3 cups beef broth
28 ounce can fire-roasted crushed tomatoes
15 ounce can red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
hot sauce, if desired

In a large Dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high. Add hot dogs and cook, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned, about 3 to 4 minutes. Use a slotted spoon to remove the hot dogs to a plate - set aside. Add the sirloin and chicken - cook until the meat begins to brown, breaking up the meat with a wooden spoon, about 4-5 minutes. Stir in the diced onions, garlic, jalapeƱos, chili powder, cumin, salt and some freshly ground black pepper to taste. Cook until the onions start to get tender, about 4 to 6 minutes.

Stir in beef broth (start with 2 cups and add more if you want the chili thinner), crushed tomatoes, beans and reserved hot dogs - bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat and simmer for about 20 to 30 minutes. Remove the cover (stir in hot sauce to taste, if desired) and simmer for about 10 more minutes.

Makes about 4 to 6 servings.

Just found the recipe? Click here to see where we talked about it!

4 comments:

  1. I love chili, and my husband and son tolerate my constant expermimenting with this food. The hot dogs might actually pique my son's interest, because hot dogs are quite the novelty food at our house.

    Do you think this is one of those chili recipes that is better the next day, as so many are? I get to cook dinner for twelve women on a retreat later this month and I'm having a hard time settling on what I'll make. Something made ahead would make things much easier.
    I've tried two different but wonderful lasagna recipes, and some really tasty baked ziti from one of the Moosewood cookbooks.

    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  2. And to think that I thought canned chili mixed with cut up hot dogs was a great meal! I like your version soooo much better! (Of course, mine's easier for camping).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sue - I'm certain the flavor would just get better and better!

    Cyndi - Hee hee - Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I won 1st place in a Chili Cook-off at my office with this recipe. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete