Tuesday, May 10, 2005

Espresso Caramels

Espresso Caramels (Adapted from 101 Cookbooks)

1 cup heavy cream
1 tablespoon instant espresso powder
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1 cup honey

In a medium heavy-bottom saucepan, add the cream, espresso powder and salt. Bring the mixture almost to a simmer - you are looking for bubbles to form around the edges. Stir in the honey and increase the heat to bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook, stirring constantly, until the mixture reaches around 258 degrees on a candy thermometer - roughly 15 to 20 minutes. Remove from the heat.

Carefully pour the mixture into a heat-safe bowl and place it in the refrigerator until the caramel begins to thicken, about 15 minutes. Scoop the somewhat cooled mixture onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Set aside and let cool completely before cutting. Once cut, wrap the individual caramels in parchment or wax paper and store in a cool place (can be refrigerated as well).

Depending on the size you cut the caramel into, it should make roughly 24 pieces.

Just found the recipe? Click here to see where we talked about it!

16 comments:

  1. They look so glossy and perfectly formed. You've got them to cut so cleanly. They look very professional

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for inspiration, Joe! The use of honey in this caramel recipe makes it indeed more 'approachable' for me..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Katie - Thank you!

    Pille - I agree, that is one reason I had to try it out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've had my eye on this recipe. My best friend & I are planning to make a batch on Thursday during our candy making spree!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful! Where did you find the adorable papers to wrap them?

    ReplyDelete
  6. They are beautiful! I had hoped to make fleur de sel caramels to give away and still haven't had a chance. Maybe I'll try these instead on the weekend. And, yes, I'd like to know where you got those adorable papers from, too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks! Regarding the wrappers, we purchased them from a local cake supply store... sadly, they went out of business earlier this year!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I had hoped the wrappers might be available online, though I did not find anything when I looked. For anyone interested, this year Williams Sonoma does have red polka dot wax paper. I bought some a few years ago when they had red and green polka dot wax paper and will use that, but those holly berries sure are cute

    ReplyDelete
  9. Luana - Yes, we love those wrappers and wish we could have gotten more before the store went under! Figures!

    ReplyDelete
  10. needed more details! I just made after never making caramels before so I was confused about what to do like.. in a medium pan, I needed to use a tall one so my candy Thermometer would stand..and then I didn't know what do do when you were to reduce to a simmer and cook..until reaching 258 degrees, it never came close to this at a simmer so I had to turn it up to past medium heat.. and how long is the mixture suppose to stay at 258 degrees, fifteen to twenty minutes or is that total cook time? I got a 9x13 out and that was way too big so maybe an 8x8 dish? Why pour it into a bowl and then your prepared dish..why not directly into the dish? I'm obviously a novice!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anon -

    You only need to cook the caramel until it reaches 258 degrees (up to 260 is fine). When it reaches that point, you take it off the heat. It should take 15 to 20 minutes to get to that temperature.

    You pour the caramel into a dish and let it chill so it will begin to thicken - letting this happen will allow the caramel to not flow everywhere when you pour it onto the baking sheet!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Joe,

    What kind of knife did you use to cut these?

    Thank you so much for all the great recipes! Everything I've tried has been so good!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Tracy - I just used a very sharp chef's knife.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I just made these and they came out perfectly. I had used another recipe earlier in the afternoon and after it cooled, it became toffee!

    Have you tried doubling the recipe to make a bigger batch?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oiyi - I don't like to double candy recipes... often times they just do work out as well.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oiyi - I don't like to double candy recipes... often times they just do work out as well.

    ReplyDelete