Monday, May 02, 2005

Onion and Fontina Beer Batter Bread

Onion and Fontina Beer Batter Bread (Adapted from CL)

1 tablespoon olive oil
1 cup diced onion
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
3 tablespoons sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
4 ounces diced fontina cheese
12 ounces bottled ale
4 tablespoons butter, melted and divided

Preheat oven to 375

In a large skillet, heat oil over medium. Add onion and cook until tender, about 6 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to cool to room temperature.

In a large bowl, whisk together flours, sugar, baking powder and salt. Mix in onion, cheese and beer - stir just until combined.

Scoop batter into a 9 x 5" loaf pan lightly coated with nonstick spray. Drizzle the top with 2 tablespoons of melted butter.

Bake 35 minutes - carefully brush the top with remaining 2 tablespoons melted butter. Continue to bake for an additional 20-25 minutes - until a wooden skewer placed in the center comes out clean. Remove and set on a wire rack for 5 minutes. Remove the bread from the pan and let cool completely on the rack.

Just found the recipe? Click here to see where we talked about it!

2 comments:

  1. Joe, I had picked out this bread from the CL website to make last weekend, and I thought I'd check your blog first to see if you had made it. I'm so glad I did, because your idea to leave the fontina cheese in little cubes was a great one! I loved the little pockets it made - I think if I had grated it, the flavor would have been lost. Thank you - you made my bread perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Elisabeth - Isn't this bread great? We loved it!

    ReplyDelete