Wednesday, May 04, 2005

Oven-Crisp Black Bean and Corn Flautas

Oven-Crisp Black Bean and Corn Flautas (Adapted from Veg Times)

2 teaspoons olive oil
1 cup chopped onion
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 15 ounce cans black beans, rinsed and drained
1 cup vegetable broth
1 teaspoon ancho chili powder
1 teaspoon chili powder
16 ounces habanero and lime salsa, divided
1 cup corn kernels (thawed if frozen)
12 6" white corn tortillas
1/4 cup chopped cilantro

In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and cook until soft, about 5 minutes. Stir in garlic and cook until fragrant - about 1 minute. Mix in beans, broth and chili powders. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until most of the liquid evaporates - about 10 - 12 minutes. Remove from heat and coarsely mash until the mixture is thick - don't over mash, you want some chunky texture with some whole beans present. Stir in 1 cup salsa and corn kernels - season with salt and pepper to taste. Set aside to cool.

Preheat oven to 425

Scoop about 1/3 cup of the bean mixture down the center of each tortilla. Gently roll tortilla around the filling and secure with a toothpick. Place each rolled tortilla on a baking sheet lightly coated with nonstick spray. Bake until the tortillas have browned and are crisp - about 6-10 minutes.

In a small bowl, mix together remaining salsa and cilantro. Serve flautas with salsa mixture on top or on the side.

Makes 6 servings.

Just found the recipe? Click here to see where we talked about it!

5 comments:

  1. I made this tonight and it was great! I added a little chicken and cheese to make my dad happy. :) Thanks for the dinner recommendation, I love all of your recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lauren - Glad to hear you liked it! Thanks for the feedback!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Joe! I made these last night for supper, and my husband and I just loved them - I know he didn't miss the meat in them at all! I made my own homemade corn tortillas to serve them with, and a little salsa and sour cream on top made it perfect! Thanks for another wonderful recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gilly - Thanks for the feedback! I've always wanted to make my own tortillas, but just never get the nerve!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This recipe gave me some great ideas for dinner.
    I made a similar dish with home made whole wheat tortillas.
    And you could make your own tortillas. It's actually super easy. I've got an easy recipe for them if you want it.
    The only problem I had was that living in small town Arkansas makes it next to impossible to find a tortilla press. Turns out, using a plate to smash them works just as well.

    ReplyDelete