Monday, May 16, 2005

Peanut Fettuccine with Shrimp, Carrots and Snow Peas

Peanut Fettuccine with Shrimp, Carrots and Snow Peas (Adapted from CL)

8 ounces dry fettuccine
1/3 cup creamy peanut butter
1 tablespoon peanut oil, divided
4 cups trimmed snow peas
2 cup matchstick-cut carrots
1 tablespoon fresh grated ginger root
3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
3/4 cup vegetable broth, divided
1 pound peeled and deveined medium shrimp
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
2 tablespoons soy sauce
2 teaspoons chili garlic sauce
1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro

In a large pot of boiling salted water, add pasta and cook 1 minute less than package directions. Set aside 1/2 cup of the pasta water, then drain pasta well and set aside. In a small bowl, whisk together hot pasta water and peanut butter.

In a large skillet, heat 2 teaspoons oil over medium-high. Add snow peas and carrots - cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Add ginger and garlic - cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in 1/4 cup broth and cook 1 minutes. Scoop mixture into a bowl and keep warm.

Add remaining teaspoon oil to the skillet. Add shrimp - cook until shrimp are done, about 1 minute per side. Add shrimp to carrot mixture and keep warm. To the peanut butter mixture, whisk in remaining broth, sugar, soy sauce and chili sauce until combined. Pour mixture into the skillet - reduce heat to medium and simmer until slightly thick, about 2 to 3 minutes. Add pasta and toss well to coat. Stir in shrimp and vegetable mixture - cook until thoroughly heated through, about 2 minutes. Sprinkle with cilantro to serve.

Makes about 4 to 6 servings.

Just found the recipe? Click here to see where we talked about it!

3 comments:

  1. Hi Joe,

    I've been lurking for quite awhile, and have many of your recipes starred in my google reader. I think I saw Gus, or his doppleganger, while I was out enjoying the beautiful weather in a stroll around Lake Calhoun.

    I've made a dish very similar to this one for years. I use tahini and tofu, though, because I'm allergic to peanuts and I'm vegetarian.

    I've looking for an excuse to make that lemon shortbread ever since you posted it. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beth - Get out! Jeff and I were walking Gus around Lake Calhoun this afternoon! It was so nice outside we couldn't resist driving into the city. You should have stopped and said hello!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mm..This looks delicious. I've done something like this before myself, and it's awesome. Peanut butter is great in Asian dishes.

    And I love your blog!

    -http://fortheluvoffood.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete