Friday, May 13, 2005

Rhubarb Crumb Cake

Rhubarb Crumb Cake (Adapted from Canadian Living)

For the topping

1 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
5 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened

For the cake

3/4 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 cup whole-wheat pastry flour (can use all-purpose, if desired)
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
scant 1/2 teaspoon salt
3 cups chopped rhubarb
2/3 cup granulated sugar, divided
6 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup sour cream

To prepare the topping

In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, cinnamon and salt. Add butter and rub it into the mixture with your fingers until well combined, squeezing to form clumps.

To prepare the cake

Preheat oven to 350

In a medium bowl, whisk together flours, baking powder, baking soda and salt.

In a medium bowl, toss together rhubarb with 2 tablespoons sugar - set aside.

In large mixing bowl, beat butter with remaining sugar until light and fluffy - add eggs, one at a time, beating until combined. Beat in vanilla. In 3 additions of the dry ingredients and 2 of sour cream, alternately mix them into the butter mixture, beginning and ending with the dry ingredients. Scoop the mixture into a 9" square baking pan coated with nonstick spray and spread the top smooth with an off-set spatula. Sprinkle with half of the topping mixture. Cover with rhubarb. Sprinkle with remaining topping mixture.

Place into the oven and bake until golden and a toothpick placed into the center comes out with a few moist crumbs attached, about 1 hour to 1 hour and 15 minutes. Remove and let cool completely before cutting.

Just found the recipe? Click here to see where we talked about it!

7 comments:

  1. We love rhubarb!! Your cake looks yummy, but then I've never had a rhubarb cake I didn't like!

    ReplyDelete
  2. unfortunately i have not found any rhubarb this season but i picked strawberries earlier today. any thoughts on how those would do in this recipe? thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anon - Do you have any favorite recipes?

    Anon #2 - Hmm, I'm not sure if the strawberries would be too wet or not. It would be a fun experiment though!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Joe!

    I didn't realize that I didn't sign my "anonymous" post.

    To answer your question, we do have a few favorite recipes. We have a rhubarb cake recipe that has been in the family forever. It is much like many other rhubarb cakes in the upper midwest. We also have two rhubarb pies that are favorites. One from my family archives and one from husband's family archives. Mine is a custard pie with meringue topping that always weeps. Everyone thinks it is supposed to do that :-) My husband's is a two crust rhubarb pie. Today for father's day I'm going out on a limb and trying a recipe from allrecipes for a two crust pie with a different assembly method that I find interesting. I hope there isn't a mutiny. :-)
    This morning I made rhubarb jam. The freezer variety. I never make that the same way twice, but the taste testers this morning thought this one was especially good.
    We make a lot of rhubarb crisps too. I almost forgot that muffins are a favorite too. One is rich with lots of butter and brown sugar, the other is a bit healthier with less sugar and plain yogurt.
    Let me know if any of the above sound good to you. I'd be happy to send recipes.

    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sue - I guess I need to get goin' on the rhubarb recipes! We've made a pudding cake before that was quite tasty. I like the idea of jam!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know you posted this a while ago but I have a question. Do you put the crumb topping on top of the wet batter and bake for the full time? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Julia - I see what you mean! I updated the recipe so it should read correctly.

    ReplyDelete