Thursday, May 12, 2005

Three-Cheese Polenta Pie

Three-Cheese Polenta Pie (Adapted from Canadian Living)

For the crust

1 1/2 cups vegetable broth
1 1/2 cups water
1 cup dry cornmeal
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons fresh grated Parmesan cheese
1/8 teaspoon fresh grated nutmeg

For the filling

1 pound ricotta cheese
2 large eggs
2 ounces shredded mozzarella cheese
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
1/2 teaspoon dried basil
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 tsp fresh ground black pepper pepper
2 tablespoons fresh grated Parmesan cheese

To prepare the crust

Preheat oven to 425

In large saucepan, add broth, water, cornmeal and salt - bring to a boil over high heat, whisking constantly, until the mixture thickens. Reduce heat and cook, stirring constantly, until the cornmeal grains have softened, about 10 to 20 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in Parmesan and nutmeg.

Scoop the mixture into a 9" pie plate lightly coated with nonstick spray. Lightly wet your hands and evenly pat the mixture over the bottom and up side of the pie plate. Bake until golden and crisp, about 25 minutes. Remove from the oven and set aside - reduce heat to 350.

For the filling

In a medium bowl, whisk together ricotta and eggs. Whisk in mozzarella, flour, parsley, basil, salt and pepper until smooth. Scoop the mixture into the crust and spread evenly - sprinkle the top with the Parmesan.

Bake until the filling set set, about 25 to 30 minutes - turn on the broiler and continue to cook just until the top is golden, about 2 to 5 more minutes.

Makes about 4 to 6 servings.

Just found the recipe? Click here to see where we talked about it!

16 comments:

  1. Hmm-- I'm bookmarking this recipe because I would love to use the crust, but the cheese filling doesn't really appeal to me. Any ideas for what else I could put inside?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just today, I was wanting to do something new with ricotta--problem solved!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Emily - I'm not sure... maybe a quiche? I'll ponder it and see what else sounds good.

    JEP - go for it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I may try the quiche idea tonight. I was planning quiche and usually have a rice and cheese shell. The polenta sounds like a nice change.

    ReplyDelete
  5. CLS - I'll be anxious to hear your results!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I too am bookmarking this immediately. I'm such a big fan of polenta and I'm an even bigger fan of cheese so this looks like heaven! Thanks for the recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had to try this, upon seeing it on Tastespotting. And I did, using freshly made ricotta and mozarella, and wow!! Soooo good!

    I ran into a snag w/the crust, as my cornmeal was not thickening enough to use as a crust well after the time frame of the recipe; it was way too runny. But then I realized I probably needed higher heat w/my particular stove/pan combo, and that helped a lot. It still took quite a while, but eventually I got there. Plus, I found it helped to let it cool before putting it in the pie pan,as that helped get it to the right consistency to grab to the sides of the pan.

    If I find I want to save some time next time, I may try it using De la Estancia Polenta Organica (a product of Argentina I can by at my local natural foods store), as it cooks in one minute w/out being an "instant" food product.
    Or maybe that would result in too thick/dense of a polenta; maybe it would dry out too much baking. If I try it and it works, I'll update you.

    But, once baked, then filled, then baked again, i am glad I kept at it, as the results were worth it! THe polenta crust tasted so very very wonderful with the cheeses and herbs!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Maxine - A fan of polenta and cheese... I know that feeling well!

    Kathleen - yeah, the time for the cornmeal to cook will vary depending on how coarse the cornmeal you start out with is. I'm glad it worked out well!

    ReplyDelete
  9. We liked the polenta as a nice change for the rice shell. As for the quiche ...I made it with zuchinni, onion, red pepper and motz. cheese. I still want to try your recipe as well when I get the ingredients.

    ReplyDelete
  10. CLS - Glad you got a chance to try it out!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Joe - that pie was amazing. Also, my nine year old son thinks you are the best. When I make a recipe he likes and he asks where I got it from I often say "from Joe" and his response is usually "Joe's cool". As always, thanks for such a great blog.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Amanda - Awesome! I'm very glad to hear it worked out well!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Mmm it is very tempting. I guess I am gonna try it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have made it! Love it! Tailored it a bit, and still see endless posibilities with this recipe. Thank you so much, this is a great dish! http://cafechocolada.blogspot.com/2008/04/polenta-pie.html

    ReplyDelete
  15. Medena - Great twist with the addition of the eggs! Love it!

    ReplyDelete