Sunday, May 08, 2005

Vegan Blueberry Buckle

Vegan Blueberry Buckle (Adapted from Vegetarian Times)

For the streusel
3/4 cup spelt flour (you could substitute with whole wheat pastry flour)
1/3 cup vanilla sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
4 tablespoons canola oil

For the cake
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup spelt flour (you could substitute with whole wheat pastry flour)
2 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 cup pure maple syrup
1/3 cup canola oil
2 teaspoons vanilla
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 cups fresh blueberries

Preheat oven to 350

To make the streusel

In a medium bowl, toss together flour, vanilla sugar, cinnamon, baking powder and salt. Gradually stir in 1 tablespoon oil at a time until the mixture looks crumbly.

To make the cake

In a medium bowl, whisk together flours and baking powder.

In another medium bowl, whisk together maple syrup, oil, vanilla and salt. Pour into the dry ingredients and stir just until combined. Gently fold in the blueberries.

Scoop the mixture into a 9" springform pan lightly coated with nonstick spray. Use an off-set spatula to smooth the top. Scatter the top with the crumbly streusel mixture.

Bake until toothpick placed near the center comes out mostly clean with a few moist crumbs attached, about 60 to 70 minutes. Remove and place on a wire rack - after amount 30 minutes, remove the sides and let completely cool before cutting.

Just found the recipe? Click here to see where we talked about it!

6 comments:

  1. I've made this before and it is really good. Seriously can't tell it's vegan!!!

    http://sseichinger.blogspot.com/2006/07/one-two-buckle-my.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Scotte- Glad to hear it someone else had success with it as well! It is a great cake.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you have any suggestions for ratios of vanilla extract to sugar since I don't have any vanilla sugar? I tried to find some for a creme brulee recipe a few months ago and couldn't find any locally, and I don't want to wait the couple of weeks to make it - Blueberries are on sale at the grocery store, so I just bought a couple of pounds!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Alice - hmm, I would probably just use regular granulated sugar. The vanilla just adds a subtle sweet note, but it is not needed. I would maybe start out with a teaspoon if you wanted to add it though. If you can find the vanilla paste, I would use that as it would give the visual black specs from the beans!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Joe, how do you think this would be with cranberries? Would they provide enough moisture? I am thinking of making this for my birthday cake

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jenny - I assume you mean fresh cranberries? Interesting question - I've never substituted them for blueberries, but I guess I don't see why it can't work. It may be a little more tart, but I would give it a try!

    ReplyDelete