Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Happy pups...

Well it has been just over a month since the last time I had some puppies dancing around the oven waiting for their treats to come out. They have been out of treats since Monday, so I figured I better get them done today or they would have been whining all weekend.

I was very happy how the dough turned out for the Cheesy Herb Biscuits. They are a little different from previous biscuits we have made as these have yeast in them. They are flavored with chicken broth, fresh grated parmesan cheese, parsley, oregano, and garlic. The use of whole wheat flour, rye flour and cracked wheat gave them a great texture. The dough was easy to roll out as long as you give it a few minutes to relax after kneading. Even though there is no rising time, you get quite a bit of lift in the oven. You can bring these together pretty quick and cut them out with whatever cutter you like. Midway through baking, they are taken out from the oven and an egg wash is brushed on both sides which gives them a glistening coating. They are returned to finish baking for about 30 minutes and will become quite crisp. They smelled quite good while baking and had the dogs pacing for their chance to try and sneak a bite! I'm guessing they were good because as I was trying to package them up, one fell on the floor and Max would not give it back.

Tonight's dinner was more of a side item turned into a main dish. Creamed Cauliflower with Herbed Crumb Topping turned out to be very surprising hit! The last time we had Cauliflower, I was satisfied I found my favorite way to prepare it, but this dish ranks right up there. The tender cauliflower is coated in a thick Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese sauce and then topped off with fresh breadcrumbs.

The sourdough flavored crumbs are mixed with melted butter, garlic and fresh herbs to create a pretty close version of Garlic bread - only in a crunchy breadcrumb form. This is baked until the creamy inside starts to bubble and the topping turns a deep golden brown - not too much fuss for such a flavorful meal.


8 comments:

  1. I just read this entry to my puppy Bandit and now she wants me to make those cookies for her. They actually really look good ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have very lucky pups. THe line about them pacing in the kitchen reminded me of one of my family's old dogs. As a treat to our pups, mom would periodically buy beef bones from the store. She'd put them in the oven to cook them and one of our dogs, Lucky, would sit in front of the oven and just stare through the window in the door waiting for them to come out of the oven.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it is so much fun that you make dog treats for your pets! If I had a dog I would definitely try your recipes!
    Oh, and the cauliflower looks delicious!! One more recipe for my to-try pile... I realy want to make this one!
    Ana

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your dogs eat better than I do. : )

    ReplyDelete
  5. Th cauliflower sounds so good!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Joe

    As the wwner of one very seriously minded Cavalier King Charles, a very happy Miniature Schnauzer and a very fussy old Daschund, your doggy biscuits went down a treat - so much so that they stole them out of their box and ate them all! Next batch to be made!

    Can you tell me where you got your doggy box from which is in the picture? I have some fellow doggy lovers here in Edinburgh and the biscuits would go down very well.

    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  7. tyroleancutie - Cute!

    biscuit - I think my mom did something similar at one point!

    ana - Thanks! Let me know if you try it!

    Farmgirl - Aww!

    Michele - Thanks!

    Anne - What a mix of pups you have! Glad to hear they liked them! I'm sorry to say that it's actually just a stack of note paper (kind of like Post Its) and not a box!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks to you alone, Joe, my favorites now includes a "dog treats" section! You take good care of everyone!!

    ReplyDelete