Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Replacing old favorites....

A few years ago before we started eating better and when we were both quite the picky eaters, one of the few things we would have frequently was chicken strips. I have not made any for the longest time because I had grown quite tired of them, but I spotted a recipe that looked like it might be the one to win me over again.

The recipe, Golden Nuggets, had a few things going for it right off the bat. The chicken is first marinated in a flavorful mixture of buttermilk, lemon juice, and spicy seasonings. What sets these apart from plain old chicken nuggets is the coating. Instead of regular breadcrumbs, Whole Wheat English Muffins are placed in a food processor and processed until they turn into smallish bits. Fresh grated parmesan cheese is then mixed in and then this is used to coat the sliced chicken pieces. After being baked, the chicken was juicy and the crust turned into a crisp golden brown coating. Next time I have a hankering for chicken strips, I know what recipe I can turn to!

To go along with these, I cut some potatoes into about 1/8" thick slices and then soaked them in some cold salted water for awhile. I then tossed them with some extra-virgin olive oil, salt and pepper. Next, we baked them at a high temperature until the insides were tender and the outside just started to get crispy.


8 comments:

  1. I have put this one my list of recipes to try. Thanks!

    Paz

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmm, yummy! I usually cut potatoes into french fries, but your slices look delicious. I know what I'm going to make for dinner next week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love buttermilk - I make a similar recipe but with whole chicken thighs in the oven, delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love love love chicken nuggets. I will have to try these soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is how I like to make chicken nuggets at home! But I usually marinate them in yogurt (instead of buttermilk) and spices (sometimes yogurt, salt, pepper and mustard!).
    For the coating I use a mix of grated parmesan cheese and bread crumbs, sometimes panko, depending on what I have on hand. Very interesting the english muffins thing, it must be good too! The picture looks pretty tasty!
    Ana

    ReplyDelete
  6. paz - Let me know if you try it!

    Teresa - We do too, but we love to change it up and use the slices - they are great this way!

    mebeth - Good idea with the thighs!

    punky - Hope you like them!

    Ana - Yogurt huh? I've done that before but it was a long time ago and it was for an Indian dish. I had some panko and was going to use that but glad I used the muffins!

    ReplyDelete
  7. paz - Let me know if you try it!

    Teresa - We do too, but we love to change it up and use the slices - they are great this way!

    mebeth - Good idea with the thighs!

    punky - Hope you like them!

    Ana - Yogurt huh? I've done that before but it was a long time ago and it was for an Indian dish. I had some panko and was going to use that but glad I used the muffins!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a healthy way to cook up old favorites.

    Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete