Saturday, May 20, 2006

But it tasted real!

Well, we are back in the hotel room and are happy to say the wedding at the farm took place without any major hassles! Jeff and I made sure the food supply kept coming and I tried to sneak some sandwiches to the photographers and others who would have probably missed out if they waited any longer. We will try to put up a few photos of the farm and wedding since we will be travelling and going through baking withdrawls... but we are suppose to have a microwave at the hotel when we leave for Maryland on Monday. Maybe we will have to try and make something in that... it might not be good, but who knows!

Jeff had been wanting me to make up some beef ribs before we left and we just did not have enough time to get things together. So instead, we decided it would be a good time as ever to try out this "veggie version" of ribs from Gardenburger.

We heated the ribs in the oven, instead of doing them in the microwave, in hopes of them coming out a little more tasty. After they had cooled enough to handle, Jeff took a bite and had this huge grin on his face. He says... "Holy cow! Hey... they kind of even taste like they come from one too!" The sauce was thick and smoky with a strong BBQ type flavor. We were pretty surprised by how much better they tasted versus what we had expected. I baked some toasted corn tortillas that we rubbed with limes and coarse salt on a firey hot pizza stone to serve along side.

Jeff ended up putting one on a hoagie-type bun later on and had himself convinced it was just like a McRib! We will definitely have to get these again while we are out house hunting in Maryland!

10 comments:

  1. Joe, I tried these a few weeks ago too. Here's the review.

    http://heateatreview.com/category/brand/gardenburger/

    I haven't eaten the second one in the pouch yet, but I will.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are big fans of these riblets. Try grilling them with onions! They also do BBQ "Chicken" - same sauce which we just tried and loved.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really? Jeff liked them?

    I've had little luck with Gardenburger, aside from the actual 'burgers'. I find their other faux-meat products to be rather...well, revolting.

    The ribs in particular had me saying 'yuck, gross; I can't eat this!'.

    But to fair, I didn't really care for ribs when I was still a carnivore.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm always a littler nervous about faux meat, but I admit that I'm curious! Thanks for planting the seed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anna - Awesome - thank you for the link to that site!

    Catherine - Chicken too? We will be looking for them!

    Stephanie - We tried some of the other products and were not impressed, but these made the cut for sure!

    Acmeinstantfood - Same here - these were good though!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are so good. I eat them all the time. They taste better than a McRib and are lower in fat. They are probably the best thing gardenburger makes!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooooh! I hope my store carries these. I actually enjoy a lot of the meatless products. I like the burgers, 'chicken' and breakfast sausage patties. I loved the McRib so I can't wait to try this.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love those ribs! They are definitely much better than my expectations.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kitarra - We Agree!

    Cookbook Junkie - Please let me know if you try them!

    Jen - Ditto!

    ReplyDelete
  10. My 9 year old daughter and I am vegetarians and are always looking for faux meat products. Garden burgers and Boca burgers are wonderful, and the riblets you have pictured are good, too. The faux steak strips, though - watch out for terrible gas later. I don't know what they are made of, but it's very offensive later on.

    ReplyDelete