Saturday, December 23, 2006

I think the pups were feeling left out...

We usually keep a homemade doggy treat supply in the garage freezer and pull out a handful to keep in the refrigerator - but, someone forgot to tell me we were out! Since we've been making quite a few treats for the human-types, we figured we better get something made for the pups too!

Unlike previous treats we've made, these Cinnamon Apple Snaps do not need to be rolled out. They are simply scooped out and flattened with a glass like you would a sugar cookie. Instead of dipping the bottom of the glass in sugar to prevent sticking, we used whole wheat flour.
These snaps are made from whole wheat flour, rolled oats, cinnamon, a minced tart apple and bound together with water and orange blossom honey. In the recipe, I mentioned you may need additional flour - you want the dough to end up being fairly stiff, but still a little sticky. Start with 1 1/2 cups and add until you get to that consistency. These will not spread much and you can place them fairly close together - I was able to fit them all on two large cookie sheets. You can make these as big or as little as you want - just adjust the amount you scoop out to the size of your pup. I think it would also be fun to roll these into little balls and use them for training treats too instead of flattening them into bigger discs. Max and Spike gave them two and a half out of three paws - I have a feeling they were expecting me to dip these golden crispy snaps into some melted puppy-safe carob chips just like the big kids got! I'll remember that for next time guys!

4 comments:

  1. Joe, you're a cooking madman. Merry Christmas to you, Jeff and all your readers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a great easy cookie recipe. I'm going to make some for my pup and add some ginger -- would you believe she is crazy for gingersnaps! And really spicy ones too! Thanks for sharing the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. TPC - Thanks!

    Cjsmama - Let me know how they turn out - I bet the ginger would be a nice twist!

    ReplyDelete
  4. about how many did this make?
    thanks,
    katrina

    ReplyDelete