Saturday, December 02, 2006

Working from the pantry...

Earlier in the week I was itchin' to bake something for Jeff to bring in and share for an extra treat day, so I looked around to see what ingredients were already on hand. We still had some mashed pumpkin in the freezer and I needed to use up some cream cheese... I peeked through some recipes and ended up making Pumpkin Carrot Swirl Bars.

These bars could be looked upon as a different take on carrot cake - more spicy, a hint of pumpkin in the background with a cream cheese frosting swirled and baked in on top. Being more cake-like than dense and chewy, they are quite moist and have an almost fluffy interior. The swirled frosting on top has a slight sweet vanilla scent and leaves pockets of a cheesecake-like flavor scattered throughout. The texture of the shredded carrots matched well to the light cake and did not seem obtrusive at all.


4 comments:

  1. Hi,
    I'm a casual reader of your blog but got extremely excited when I saw this recipe. I've been searching for something sweet to give my roommates as a Christmas gift, and this will be absolutely perfect. My best friend Amanda loves pumpkin and carrot cake. I can't wait to bake this for them!
    Thank you!
    Laryssa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laryssa - Let me know how they work for you, we really enjoyed them!

    ReplyDelete