Monday, December 04, 2006

Using those old pans...

Do you have baking pans around that just don't get enough use or know what to do with? I have that problem... the last time we used our donut pans (or doughnuts... however you like to spell it) was more than a year ago! I loved using them before and I ended up forgetting about them until I went to reorganize my baking pans when we got the new cabinets.

While they are not as decadent as fried donuts, these Vermont Apple Cider Donuts with Maple Glaze certainly didn't let us down. If you don't happen to have a donut pan already on hand, you could always use those miniature bundt molds or even bake them in a regular bundt pan for a large cake! Flavored with apple cider and apple butter, these lightly cinnamon scented rings also have a hint of maple from pure maple syrup which also adds just enough sweetness. The texture is more on the light side with the interior staying very moist from the addition of plain yogurt. The glaze is a simple combination of confectioners' sugar, maple syrup and a few drops of vanilla. Right after dunking, the glaze may seem to be a bit thick on top - but as they rest, the sweet maple-infused topping slowly absorbs into the donuts. So instead of a fluffy frosting, this leaves a soft, but set, thin and opaque crust.

As a side for some leftovers, tonight we decided to have a Warm Potato Salad with Beer and Mustard Dressing. Red potatoes begin by hanging out in some simmering water until they are tender - they are then drained and left to cool until you can easily slice them into rounds. Since you need to wait, you are left with just enough time to finish the rest of the salad. Onions, celery, parsley, sweet pickles, amber ale and cider vinegar are mixed together and are added to the cooled sliced potatoes. To warm them back up, a hot dressing is made by cooking a bit of sweet onion in olive oil. More amber ale along with cider vinegar and seasonings are added in and the mixture bubbles away until it reduces and concentrates their flavors. The hot mixture is combined with tangy Dijon and processed until smooth. Olive oil added in a slow stream brings the dressing together and is then mixed with the potato mixture. The bite from the beer, mustard and vinegar matched well to the tender potatoes - we both liked how light tasting this was compared to a mayo based recipe.

*If you don't wait long enough before you slice the potatoes, you may have a harder time getting them to hold their round shape - I waited about 15 minutes or so and was just at the edge of them being a bit too warm still.

7 comments:

  1. Wow - new kitchen toys to buy! I've never made fried donuts, but these baked ones sound delicious. The potato salad looks wonderful too. Too bad we're doing the South Beach Diet and don't get to eat potatoes very often.

    Thanks for all the good stuff!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Joe,
    How many donuts does the recipe make? The recipe doesn't specifically state the yield (at least I didn't see it). Thanks!
    -Laura

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the old fashion donuts or cake donuts and the potatoes look yummy. I don't have a donut pan so I will just buy them instead. By the way, the tree is awesome, I miss real trees.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for the donut recipe. I just got a new donut pan and can't wait to try these!

    ReplyDelete
  5. mmmmmm ... donuts. Sorry I couldn't resist

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just bought some pans like that! I've been making all kinds of crazy stuff in them. They're lots of fun. I'll have to try those apple cider donuts, though, definitely.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ruth - I hope you try them out sometimes, I bet you can use them for all sorts of things!

    Laura - it depends on what size pan you use. I got around 10 large donuts and 10 small ones.

    Anonymous - Thanks!

    La vida - Let me know if you try them out!

    Guy - Jeff said the same thing!

    Traci - Aren't the pans fun? I need to use them more!

    ReplyDelete